Ikelite housing for Canon S95?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure you've seen today's announcement. For convenience, the scubaboard thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/348663-canon-s95-720p-video.html

So it turns out, my wife and I just bought an S90 and the Ikelite housing for it.
Just as in: The camera was delivered last week and the housing delivered yesterday. Camera barely used, housing still in its packaging.

After looking at the specs, the S90 is going back today under the vendor's full refund return policy, and the S95 is preordered.

I can return the S90 Ikelite housing for another 14 days. Speculation on the SB thread suggests that the S95 will need a new model housing, and in fact there's a new model Canon housing for it.

Can Ikelite please advise (quickly):
1) Will the Ikelite S90 housing work with the S95?
2) Will there be an Ikelite S95 housing?
3) If so, when will it be available?

Thanks

We do not receive pre-production cameras or information about cameras before they are released to the general public. We do intend to offer a housing for the S95, but won't have any information on its possible compatibility with the current S90 housing until the camera is available in our local market.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

It looks like the controls are in the same locations, but I don't have one in my hands to verify. At this moment the S95 is only sold out of Hong Kong, apparently. I expect wide distribution next month. (Then perhaps Ikelite can validate the design.)

The S95 is slightly thinner:
S90: 3.94 x 2.30 x 1.22 in./100.0 x 58.4 x 30.9mm
S95: 3.93 x 2.30 x 1.16 in. (99.8 x 58.4 x 29.5mm)

That does not seem like much, but it means none of the controls on the back would reach the camera. It will require shims or padding or even machining the ribs that hold the camera in the housing slightly differently to correct this. So it's too soon to know if the housing will interchange, but probably not because of the change in thickness.

Note that Canon announced a new housing for it, the WP-DC38 (looks just like the DC-35 for the S90). That says to me it is highly likely Ikelite will have to release a new housing for it too.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot S95

Attachments

• Canon WP-DC38 Housing for S95.jpg
    Canon WP-DC38 Housing for S95.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:
It looks like the controls are in the same locations,
The S95 is slightly thinner:
Note that Canon announced a new housing for it, the WP-DC38 ...

Thanks for the comments, when reading tea leaves, informed guesses are useful.
I had noted Canon's new housing in my OP. The controls look like the same position, but that's hard to be sure from the brochure photos. The On/Off and Ring-Function buttons have been reversed, but staring at the product photos says they're in the same places, and the housing doesn't care about function.

Canon, because of product volumes and the nature of their market, probably wants to re-tool for a perfect fit. I'm holding out hope for the Ikelite S90 housing just needing a thin set of shims in the front, possibly even as the permanent fix. I'll swag that at 20% likely.

In a perfect world, I would just wait and it will sort itself out. But my world isn't quite perfect here, we leave for Bonaire in mid October. I'm pretty sure that we'll have the S95 by then, but not sure we'll have a housing to put it in, and this being my wife's (she's the photographer, I'm the techie and scubaboard user) first underwater camera & housing, nothing else to fall back on. So we may end up with the Canon housing, assuming even that's shipping in time.

The main use of this camera isn't for underwater, it will be her main camera, which is why the S95 features were attractive enough to send the S90 back.

And in the meantime, I need to decide next week whether to return the S90 Ikelite housing. If it works with shims, even if less than optimally, and the real Ikelite S95 housing shows up in November, I'd be better off keeping it. I could, and I suppose probably will, return it. And then re-order it in a few weeks if it turns out to work, which would be nice to avoid.

So I'm just poking and prodding for whatever insights I can get to make a couple of decisions with less than perfect information, which I'm forced to do. There are people with bigger problems than this, but it's still a problem needing information and action.

Not much difference in the S90 and S95 with the exception of video on the S95. If you main emphasis is photos then I suggest staying with the S90 and Ike housing. I own both and they are an excellent system.

There appear to be slight differences in the positions of the buttons on the back between the S90 and S95. The buttons are a tiny bit lower on the S95. This together with the difference in thickness means there will have to be a slight redesign on housings for the S95, what a shame. In the pic below, the S95 back is on top, S90 bottom.

Attachments

• Canon S90 S95.jpg
    Canon S90 S95.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 981
In general, how long does it take Ikelite to develop a housing? In this case I would think that the housing might fit in the current part mold but would need adjustments to the tooling to make the controls work.

In general, how long does it take Ikelite to develop a housing? In this case I would think that the housing might fit in the current part mold but would need adjustments to the tooling to make the controls work.

Ikelite seems to have about 3 standard sizes "blanks" for still camera housings that they probably buy in large volumes per size, then tailor each "blank" for a particular camera model. There is the "ultra-compact" size for smaller cameras with no flash bulkhead, a rectangular box for medium sized point and shoots that may have a flash bulkhead, and a larger SLR blank or two that covers most of the SLRs.

The ultra-compact blank is used for the S90. By careful measurements, Ikelite determines where and how big the lens port should be, where to cut notches in the 8 "ribs" that hold the camera, and where to put all the buttons and levers needed to operate the camera controls. The camera "floats" in the housing, held by the 8 ribs and a foam gasket on the back that surrounds the LCD. All the holes for buttons and levers are machined on demand. An array of pushbuttons and bent levers is used to actuate the needed controls

[It appears that Canon does a full custom mold for each camera body, with holes and labels for each control being cast in the piece. This allows them to make a much smaller housing and more direct operating controls, rather than the bent rod approach that Ikelite uses for some out of the way controls].

For our much anticipated S95, we know that the ribs will have to be cut differently, to accommodate the 1.4mm thinner body. We know that the button cluster on the back door will be moved slightly. We know that the function of a couple buttons on top have been swapped, and perhaps other controls on top have moved. If we are lucky, the lens did not move but no guarantee. This is all minor, but it's got to be done right and documented and converted to a manufacturable product. I suspect someone is making a prototype right now by hand, to validate measurements and operation of controls. Then the new product will need all the support, training, marketing, packaging and so on that goes with any new product.

The use of these standard blanks allows for rapid development and minimal tooling costs for new products. Molds for high volume plastic items are very expensive to make, so using just a few different types of housing blanks saves development cost as well as time. There are downsides: If a camera has an unusual size or shape, it just may not be possible to squeeze it into a standard blank -- so sorry, no housing for that whizbang. There are times when I see a tiny camera in a huge housing and think, "why couldn't they have made it smaller?", but being able to use the "ultra-compact" blank has all the advantages I mentioned.

Canon seems to have stopped making new S90s, so the pipeline will drain pretty fast of new S90s as the S95 takes over. There could be a window when only the Canon WP-DC38 will be available as an underwater housing for the S95. My guess -- and it's just a guess, assuming this has some sort of priority, is that it would take a month or two to quick step this new housing through release. I'm sure there are many products in development, contending for limited engineering resources at a fairly small company (about 80 people). We'll see.

Ikelite History

As examples, the Canon case for the S90 and Ikelite case for Canon SD970 are shown below. The example of the Ikelite case does not show the front wheel adjusting mechanism, nor does it show the 67mm threaded port which is very handy for wide angle and macro lenses.

Attachments

• Canon DC35 Case Open.jpg
    Canon DC35 Case Open.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Canon SD970 ikelite Case Open.jpg
    Canon SD970 ikelite Case Open.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 196
Jean,

Thinking about getting an S95 and Ikelite housing in a couple of months. In looking at your website for the S90 there is limited functionality with regards to the rear control dial. This is due to the inability of rotating the dial vs pressing the up, down, left and right. Can you tell me specifically what functions can't be accessed?

thanks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom