If your significant other doesn't want to learn to dive DON'T Pressure them!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife complains when I go out diving and she complains at how much she has to wait for me to get back from diving. I’ve wanted her to try it or at least snorkelling because there have been a lot of things that I get her to try and she ends up loving it. She keeps saying that she will try snorkelling or diving in a pool (intro to sessions) but when it comes time to do it there are always excuses as to why she can’t that day. We were in Playa Del Carmen last month without the kids and she said she would go snorkelling at Xel Ha but everyday that I tried to get her to go it was always a different excuse like the bus ride would be too long or the weather wasn’t good or she would rather just lay on the beach. She was even told by some others (in Winnipeg) that it is worth doing and she should not pass up. The most annoying thing was the bus ride back to the airport “We should have gone to Xel Ha, that would have been fun” It seems like the only way I’m going to get her to try is by forcing her into it. Any other ways to get her to try??

Any other ways to get her to try??

Get her into a group? Like I said, my wife and I aren't really compatible as buddies, but she loves diving with the sister in law. Never mind that I've been diving since the 70's, have a fair number of dives in a variety of conditions and hold instructors certs, she listens to the SIL and they have a great time.

I'd agree whole-heartedly with the original post.

Most of the problems i see teaching are people coming because their significant other does it. They dont really want to be there, dont really concentrate, more prone to not really bother and generally a much harder course if they pass at all.
You can see they aren't enjoying it and dont want to be there and begin to feel sorry for them.

Diving ISNT for everyone.

Not sure if this is the exception to the rule... or just another possibility...

I never applied heavy-handedness to convince my wife to dive, however, I was persistent...

She...
1- had a fear of the water
2- had a fear of actually breathing underwater
3- had a fear of all that gear strapped on her
4- couldn't get her to sink even with the cinder blocks we were strapping to her in the pool (finally figured out she was filling her lungs and just wouldn't exhale on the surface)...

After some *gentle* persuasion...
1- she LOVES diving...
2- she swims underwater like a fish...
3- she puts more experienced divers to shame with her buoyancy control, and other skills...
4- she puts *me* to shame with her SAC rate
5- she is still grateful for the persistence applied in getting her to try it...
6- her tendancy to seasickness hasn't even put her off on it...
7- she's gone from a fear of putting her face in the water, to doing dives like the Spiegel Grove without blinking...

Thus... the tagline below...

Sounds a bit like Cheng (my ex-wife). Before scuba diving, she wouldn't even snorkel without wearing a life jacket. After I got certified, she expressed an interest. We spent three months going to the pool three nights a week ... just getting her comfortable with being in the water. She struggled with the class, but eventually got certified. Now ... more than 650 dives later ... she's a fish ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like she just doesn't want to. Send her shopping, to the spa or something she enjoys. Don't be afraid to tell her it is something you really want to do.

I love the water, diving, boating, fishing, etc. Wife gets sea-sick real easy, we've had a few bad "chumming" episodes on the ocean. Sea-sick meds make her too drowsy. She loves the tourquoise water though and the waves. So sometimes we take separate vacations together. I do the water thing and she sunbathes and reads or does her workouts. We meet up at about lunchtime for a meal at a beach bar and spend the rest of the day together! It works for us, no presure either way.
Joe:14:

My wife complains when I go out diving and she complains at how much she has to wait for me to get back from diving. I’ve wanted her to try it or at least snorkelling because there have been a lot of things that I get her to try and she ends up loving it. She keeps saying that she will try snorkelling or diving in a pool (intro to sessions) but when it comes time to do it there are always excuses as to why she can’t that day. We were in Playa Del Carmen last month without the kids and she said she would go snorkelling at Xel Ha but everyday that I tried to get her to go it was always a different excuse like the bus ride would be too long or the weather wasn’t good or she would rather just lay on the beach. She was even told by some others (in Winnipeg) that it is worth doing and she should not pass up. The most annoying thing was the bus ride back to the airport “We should have gone to Xel Ha, that would have been fun” It seems like the only way I’m going to get her to try is by forcing her into it. Any other ways to get her to try??

Wow, you are a patient guy! My husband would have blown a gasket over that comment.

You could always tell her you want a divorce so you can marry a diver. :mooner: Just kiddin'.

I really don't think she is interested. Back off and maybe she will come around, maybe not. Maybe going on a group trip with friends, another female non-diver who will snorkel with her would make her a bit more comfortable. I wouldn't push the issue.

My wife and I met when we were both teaching WSI classes at a Red Cross National Aquatic School. She is an excellent swimmer and loves the water--but never wanted to dive. For 29 years we'd go on vacation and I'd dive and then we'd snorkel and do dinner together. Last year she decided to get certified. It was out of the blue and now she loves it. It's fun to dive together, but I'm certain she'd never have gotten certified if I pressured her to do it.

Steve

I just want to share the experience with my wife who also happens to be my best friend and the woman of my dreams.

I don't pressure her, but I want her to try.

It's very hard not to want to share the second best thing that you've ever experienced with your best friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom