If you were to redo the scuba industry how would you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insurance companies are not a problem as long as training is non-commercial mentoring in a membership based society. There is no duty of care then (may vary from legislation to legislation). This would obviously turn an industry into a hobby, and many would loose their income. Not quite optimal. Legislators might have their say also.
I meant the insurance companies that insure dive operators, such as those taking divers out on boats, renting divers equipment, etc. They require their insured to check certifications.

I like the idea of a separate certification body. We need discussion, however.
So, let me be the devils advocate and propose an opposing idea:
There shall be no certifications. If you screw it up you die. Pick your instructor.
Too many certs, too little diving.
Good point.
However scuba has grown to the point beyond just a few extreme hobbyists.
I’m thinking if getting on dive boats. They want to know people have good grasp of diving physiology/do’s and dont’s. There’s a lot more to it now than just “don’t hold your breath”.

Make it a subscription model just like cell phones. A few dollars (or free) upfront and then a monthly charge until your 2yr contract is completed. Like cell phones, the hardware is made by a different supplier than the service provider. If you were already paying the subscription, you would dive on the charter more. Just like cell data you would have different plans to choose from. They MIGHT include a monthly charter, yrly vacation charter, Quarry dives, etc, etc. Some plans would include fills, or rental or just like cell phones you could "go over' on your plan. Trade in your basic cell(dive gear) and upgrade your plan to better certs/ equipment, etc. Think this idea is crazy?>>Palm Beach Scuba is 'kinda' trying it right now!!

My pet peeve was always how many OW students don't have any previous "water" experience, and that the 200 yd/mtr. swim test was a puzzle to me as to what it was there to prove. I'd like to see some kind of tests that would insure that someone is actually very comfortable in water before entering the OW course. Knowing a proper swim stroke (maybe just doing ONE lap to show that). Some testing that would show that the student is not at all "afraid" of the water, of putting one's head under it, etc. I read of someone saying that they had a student who signed up for OW to overcome her FEAR OF THE WATER. For me, that is not an acceptable reason for taking SCUBA. I beat to death the Swim Test thing here years ago, but will say that when I assisted on courses, 80% of those doing the 200 Swim didn't have a proper stroke. Yes, swimming and scuba are distant(?) cousins and you don't have to be a good swimmer to be a good scuba diver, but I feel that anyone doing ANYTHING in or around water that is too deep to stand in should know how to properly swim.

I read of someone saying that they had a student who signed up for OW to overcome her FEAR OF THE WATER. For me, that is not an acceptable reason for taking SCUBA.
I believe it could be, if that person actually overcomes the fear and starts to enjoy submersion.
However, fear must change to joy, or else it's the wrong hobby.

My pet peeve was always how many OW students don't have any previous "water" experience, and that the 200 yd/mtr. swim test was a puzzle to me as to what it was there to prove. I'd like to see some kind of tests that would insure that someone is actually very comfortable in water before entering the OW course. Knowing a proper swim stroke (maybe just doing ONE lap to show that). Some testing that would show that the student is not at all "afraid" of the water, of putting one's head under it, etc. I read of someone saying that they had a student who signed up for OW to overcome her FEAR OF THE WATER. For me, that is not an acceptable reason for taking SCUBA. I beat to death the Swim Test thing here years ago, but will say that when I assisted on courses, 80% of those doing the 200 Swim didn't have a proper stroke. Yes, swimming and scuba are distant(?) cousins and you don't have to be a good swimmer to be a good scuba diver, but I feel that anyone doing ANYTHING in or around water that is too deep to stand in should know how to properly swim.
That and the ability to tread water. Skin diving skills don’t hurt either. Swimming yeah, but some people don’t swim well but they love water and are comfortable. I think the 800 yd snorkel mask/ fin actually applies to scuba training better.

Skin diving skills don’t hurt either.
CMAS decades ago, but then PADI made it into a business maximizing income. Others followed suit.
If you want to make a living on diving instruction, then there must be a certain amount of customers per day.
Most people are not willing to pay enough for proper tuition.
I get my salary from something else than diving instruction.

I beat to death the Swim Test thing here years ago, but will say that when I assisted on courses, 80% of those doing the 200 Swim didn't have a proper stroke. Yes, swimming and scuba are distant(?) cousins and you don't have to be a good swimmer to be a good scuba diver, but I feel that anyone doing ANYTHING in or around water that is too deep to stand in should know how to properly swim.
Reading thing like this from what I believe is good swimmers always has me wondering where their "bar" is.

Personally I swim a few times a month, and generally do 2000m in an hour. I know my technique could improve that time by a LOT, but just as with running, I only do it to stay in shape, thus technique is irrelevant for my "goal"

So - Where should the bar on swimming technique be? Genuinely curious:)

Reading thing like this from what I believe is good swimmers always has me wondering where their "bar" is.

So - Where should the bar on swimming technique be? Genuinely curious:)
I've never been a competitive swimmer, but did learn proper swimming technique when I was young. Is my swimming technique perfect? Probably not, but it's decent enough.

For me, it's more about being comfortable in the water AND being able to effectively propel yourself through the water. Doesn't need to be perfect, but finning should not look like riding a bicycle.

Oh sweetJesus do you have any idea of the impact of enforcing such a standard? (I know you do)

I agree with you but I look at the reality of what happens.

I know the idea of "everyone can scuba" is a common myth, but that is a myth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom