If you were just starting to go DIR, where would you start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in_cavediver:
Note: I am not DIR (at least I don't know if I am, never took a GUE class)

This is pretty good advice but I would recommend a slight modification. When you look for gear and start making choices on what to do, don't just take someone's word for it. Look at the why, look at you situation, look at all of the alternitives and then make your decision. From what I know of DIR, it's a pretty good system for many environments but make sure you understand why its good and whether its really appropriate for you. I guess this come's from a pet peeve of a mine due to few vocal DIR diver I ran into who were quick to condemn a few aspects of my gear but couldn't explain why they did it differently. (or why it was really bad)

Part of the gear configuarion is just about standardization and different configurations aren't wrong per se if that's how your team operates and if it best meets your objectives which may not be the same as the DIR/GUE objectives.

Another thing about the gear configuration is that it's designed to function with minimal changes as you advance into different dive activities and may not come into play at lower levels. To give an example used in Dress for Success, one reason why the primary light is held in the left hand and the bottom timer is on the right wrist is so that the light can be used to illuminate the bottom timer while operating a DPV with the right hand.

I'm sure most recent DIR-F graduates, myself included, do not understand all the finer points behind everything we were taught, but then again I prefer not to comment on other people's gear or procedures.

jonnythan:
Let's keep this on topic, people. Non-DIR people who have no training or experience with it should exercise some restraing in pontificating about it.

Entirely true. And people who call themselves DIR and have limited diving experience should feel free to pontificate about DIR but should refrain from from pontificating about diving...

R..

DIR threads never die... they just won't go away

:wink:

in_cavediver:
Note: I am not DIR (at least I don't know if I am, never took a GUE class)

This is pretty good advice but I would recommend a slight modification. When you look for gear and start making choices on what to do, don't just take someone's word for it. Look at the why, look at you situation, look at all of the alternitives and then make your decision. From what I know of DIR, it's a pretty good system for many environments but make sure you understand why its good and whether its really appropriate for you. I guess this come's from a pet peeve of a mine due to few vocal DIR diver I ran into who were quick to condemn a few aspects of my gear but couldn't explain why they did it differently. (or why it was really bad)

If you really want to know about a DIR equipment set-up get a book called "Dress for Success" by Dan McKay. GUE website has it, and possibly Amazon. (not sure about Amazon, however)

It's a great book explaining exactly why everything is placed and used as it is.

if everyone had to be an expert before making comments this board would die.

Maybe it should! :)

Diver0001:
Entirely true. And people who call themselves DIR and have limited diving experience should feel free to pontificate about DIR but should refrain from from pontificating about diving...

R..
But my DIR-f card states I can do exactly that.

Diver0001:

R..

Just how much "diving experience" would be sufficient for you to allow them to pontificate about diving without a downturned look? Just curious about what your measure of adequate experience is.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Just how much "diving experience" would be sufficient for you to allow them to pontificate about diving without a downturned look? Just curious about what your measure of adequate experience is.

---
Ken

I don't know if my opinion really matters, Ken. I don't want to insult anyone but I think we should collectively ask ourselves if being an avid cyber diver makes one an expert...

R..

Diver0001:
I don't know if my opinion really matters, Ken. I don't want to insult anyone but I think we should collectively ask ourselves if being an avid cyber diver makes one an expert...

R..
How would one be able to tell the difference between an experience moron vs cyber diver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom