If you were just starting to go DIR, where would you start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK… I’ll play.

First, I’m a bit concerned about your comment concerning “borderline tech diving. If you are doing tech type dives without training please stop.

For me there is no borderline. Tech diving means putting a barrier (of some kind) between yourself and the surface. If you are doing some diving of this kind or even diving at the extreme edges of recreational diving then IMO you should go all the way and receive a strong education. As this is a DIR forum then I would recommend a strong DIR training.

If you and your son are recreational divers I think you have more latitude to accept parts of the system and recognize that if you do bits and bobs of a DIR system along the way you will not be diving DIR and some of the bits may not make much sense to you. For example… if you adopt the long hose but still do ooa drills as if you were diving an octo you will not really be experiencing the benefits of having the hose in the first place. If you dive with a BP/W but really can’t control your buoyancy of maintain solid trim you haven’t gained much. DIR diving is about thinking of diving as a totality, which encompasses the equipment you use, the procedures you follow and an expanded awareness of the diving context (team, gear, environment). IMO the concept of “Team” is first among equals in DIR diving. The difference is that a 40-foot reef dive is more forgiving than a 150-foot dive with a deco obligation.

The very best thing you and your son could do is to “take the class”. Often said but it can be fun and will defiantly bond the two of you. You can rent the bp/w and long hose from most instructors who teach GUE or 5th D-X classes. I think after some of this rambling around my sense is that you need to go all the way or why bother. Let us know how it goes and what you decide to do.

Mo2vation:
Honestly, the best thing you can do is not post something like this in an internet forum (because you will soon receive enough input on all sides to make a perfect circle, and then you're nowhere) but rather call your local GUE instructor and talk with them. Or dive with a few of us Koolaid drinkers.

Oh yeah, that's a real good way to get an unbiased opinion.

I anticipate my first several courses locally being PADI, so I'll probably start with backplate/wings, but not change the hose routing until I'm done with them and able to get into a DIR-F course.

The absolute best thing to do is find a regular diving partner who shares your desire to dive in the most well-thought-out, safe, and effective manner possible.

Everything else can come later - gear, classes, etc. Finding a cohesive, like-minded team is where to start.

Florabama:
Or, do you have to go DIR all the way or not at all? Is it an all or nothing proposition, or can you take it in steps?

The reason I ask, is that I've long considered going DIR, because I like the idea of standardization. My son and I have dived together for 12 years and we're now getting into some borderline technical stuff, and the thought has occured to me more than once, that if something went wrong, I would sure like to know that his gear was set up just like mine.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there's a prioritization in terms of what's most important to DIR first.

I would add that if you buy any new gear, then make sure it DIR-compliant from now on. The book 'Dress for Success' is a good place to start. Also if you are into borderline tech diving, but haven't bought tech gear yet, then now's a good chance 'do it right', and then when you are ready you might want to look into taking DIR-F in doubles with a can light. Don't take DIR-F-Rec in a single tank setup if you are planning to go tech anyway...

Florabama:
Or, do you have to go DIR all the way or not at all? Is it an all or nothing proposition, or can you take it in steps?

The reason I ask, is that I've long considered going DIR, because I like the idea of standardization. My son and I have dived together for 12 years and we're now getting into some borderline technical stuff, and the thought has occured to me more than once, that if something went wrong, I would sure like to know that his gear was set up just like mine.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there's a prioritization in terms of what's most important to DIR first.

It really depends on who you ask. Some people believe that DIR is all or nothing. Some people even believe that DIR is a goal in and of itself.

IMHO neither is true.

On the first point I believe that *anything* you do to improve your diving is an improvement worth making. DIR is an excellent frame of reference for best practices. Nothing more, nothing less. The most valuable lessons DIR has to offer doesn't even have to do with diving. It has to do with frame of mind -- Do this dive or can it? -- how do you feel? -- being attentive -- read the body language -- put your doubts on the table without feeling weak...... that kind of thing. Turn diving into a team sport instead of a collection of soloists who are in the water at the same time.

On the second point. DIR is not a goal. DIR is a means to an end. The end is being more at ease, feeling/being more in control, feeling/being safer, getting more out of your diving for less stress/effort..... it's a frame of reference for how far to go and where not to go. However, at some point DIR has limits. Extreme divers are hardly ever DIR and DIR divers are hardly ever extreme. You have to decide for yourself how far to go.

R..

*Floater*:
I would add that if you buy any new gear, then make sure it DIR-compliant from now on. The book 'Dress for Success' is a good place to start. Also if you are into borderline tech diving, but haven't bought tech gear yet, then now's a good chance 'do it right', and then when you are ready you might want to look into taking DIR-F in doubles with a can light. Don't take DIR-F-Rec in a single tank setup if you are planning to go tech anyway...

Note: I am not DIR (at least I don't know if I am, never took a GUE class)

This is pretty good advice but I would recommend a slight modification. When you look for gear and start making choices on what to do, don't just take someone's word for it. Look at the why, look at you situation, look at all of the alternitives and then make your decision. From what I know of DIR, it's a pretty good system for many environments but make sure you understand why its good and whether its really appropriate for you. I guess this come's from a pet peeve of a mine due to few vocal DIR diver I ran into who were quick to condemn a few aspects of my gear but couldn't explain why they did it differently. (or why it was really bad)

in_cavediver:

This is pretty good advice but I would recommend a slight modification. When you look for gear and start making choices on what to do, don't just take someone's word for it. Look at the why, look at you situation, look at all of the alternitives and then make your decision. From what I know of DIR, it's a pretty good system for many environments but make sure you understand why its good and whether its really appropriate for you. I guess this come's from a pet peeve of a mine due to few vocal DIR diver I ran into who were quick to condemn a few aspects of my gear but couldn't explain why they did it differently. (or why it was really bad)

I would venture to say that if you don't understand the why, you're not really DIR.

A

in_cavediver:

AaronR103:
I would venture to say that if you don't understand the why, you're not really DIR.

A

You may be right however, its an image that was portrayed to me. (and somewhat influenced the tech training path I took 2 years ago). Personally, I think you can get excellent training with GUE or with another agency. I just think that if drink the kool aid, you ought to really know whats in it and why.

Let's keep this on topic, people. Non-DIR people who have no training or experience with it should exercise some restraing in pontificating about it.

For the record, everything about DIR is about being a thinking diver and making smart decisions. Nothing whatsoever about it is taking someone's word for it or buying or doing something because someone else told you.

Aaron is correct in saying that if you're doing something without knowing the full reasons behind doing it, you are not doing it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom