If you were just starting to go DIR, where would you start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Or, do you have to go DIR all the way or not at all? Is it an all or nothing proposition, or can you take it in steps?

The reason I ask, is that I've long considered going DIR, because I like the idea of standardization. My son and I have dived together for 12 years and we're now getting into some borderline technical stuff, and the thought has occured to me more than once, that if something went wrong, I would sure like to know that his gear was set up just like mine.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there's a prioritization in terms of what's most important to DIR first.

This should be fun.

Some will tell you there is no such thing as a little DIR.

Some will say use a computer, go to jail.

Some will get so hung up on the gear stuff that the true essence of a unified team and better dive planning, a healthy lifestyle, better environmental awareness and all that rot is lost on them. The "you can have my split fins when pry them from my cold dead fingers...." crowd.

People that have actually been through Fundies will likely say the best thing to do is get the book, read it and see if its for you. Sounds like you're finding stuff that makes sense to you in what you read here, other places and in the people you talk to.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is not post something like this in an internet forum (because you will soon receive enough input on all sides to make a perfect circle, and then you're nowhere) but rather call your local GUE instructor and talk with them. Or dive with a few of us Koolaid drinkers.

But you will receive a full return on your entertainment dollar in this thread, to be sure.

Fasten your comfort harness.

Errr, your one-piece harness. :rolleyes:

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Honestly, the best thing you can do is not post something like this in an internet forum (because you will soon receive enough input on all sides to make a perfect circle, and then you're nowhere) but rather call your local GUE instructor and talk with them. Or dive with a few of us Koolaid drinkers.

Good advice.

read JJ's The Fundamentals of Better Diving

take DIR-F

find good mentors in your area (basically make friends with DIR divers who are more advanced than you and learn from them)

Mo2vation:
Actually, I learned a bunch of stuff from reading threads where other people posted stuff like this. Still, I've never been bright enough to avoid asking questions like, "Which snorkel is DIR?"

There's nothing wrong with asking. After reading enough posts here on SB, you get to figuring out who is on track and who is just shinning your shoes.

My instructor was quite clear on his opinion of this issue: All or nothin'.

Mo2vation:
...Or dive with a few of us Koolaid drinkers.

---
Ken

This is your best bet. If that person is GUE trained or a GUE instuctor you will see and be able to ask questions about the system (not just the gear)

The dive planning, skill level, and team approach are things that can be worked on and strived for with or without the gear. The book is a good place to get exposure to these concepts.

As for the all or nothing concept I think to be truly Holisticly DIR you do have to do it all the way but it is not realistic to one day wake up and throw all your gear away and buy new rigs. But the other concepts can be incorporated now and you can adjust your gear if you choose this as the system for you.

Chad

Florabama:
My son and I have dived together for 12 years and we're now getting into some borderline technical stuff.

Que?

Mo2Vation is right, call or talk with a GUE instructor. And dive with some DIR folks. Or do it the other way around. :)

Your best bet is to drive to high springs since you are so close to homebase. I'll be up in pensacola this august, so if you want to do some shallow, low key shore dives with a DIR buddy I'll be up for it.

That said... there are some great instructors here right now and you pretty much have your pick of the litter of who you want to train with.

Good luck,

-V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom