if you find a camera, do you give it back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meganm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I was wondering what peoples opinion is about this issue...

I live on Koh Tao, I am an instructor. A DM that I know found a camera floating just off of a dive site. A cheap camera but still a good find. When he and another DM were looking through the photos that were on the SD card they saw that there was a picture of me. Surprised the DM (the one who didn't find it) phoned me to ask me about the camera and if I or anyone that I knew had lost a camera. It turned out that a really good friend of mine had lost his camera that morning and it was clearly his camera that was found floating by the other DM. So excited we went down and asked for the camera back and my friend offered him some money as a reward for finding it.

I thought it was clear cut and that anybody in that situation would just hand the camera back to its owner... Apparently it is not that clear.

What do people think. Should the camera be given back or is it finders keepers?

So the finder asked for a 'finder's fee'? I don't understand from the description of what happened and your question. The finder intiated contact with the owner (via you). Now it is clear that the camera belongs to that person, so IMO it should be given back with a smile.

Personally I'd likely buy the guy a beer for finding the camera, but would be properly pissed if he held the camera to 'ransom'.

Seems like they found a lead as to the owner, contacted the lead (you), found the owner (your friend), and gave it back (with your friend offering the reward which I assume they took).

All in all seems fine.

the guy who found it didn't want to give it back, so my friend (the guy who actually owned the camera and had lost it) offered him money (I think he offered an excessive amount) to try and get him to give the camera back.

---------- Post added July 20th, 2013 at 11:50 PM ----------

we had to really twist the guys arm to get him to give the camera back. He said when anything is in the sea it is always finders keepers... and other people at the dive shop agreed with him.

I am just surprised and was after opinions from others.

When I have found something in the past (like a mask or a torch) I try to find the owner. If I find the owner I give it back if I can't find the owner only then do I keep it.

Personally, I would make a reasonable effort to find the owner and return it.

If it's obvious who the owner is, seems kind of in bad taste to keep it.

But then there is the law of the sea or whatever, so to each their own.

OK- thanks for clearing that up. The 'finder' is a right tool IMO- I like to think that people will 'do the right thing' and this person dosen't fit that at all.

Just for interest's sake: How much was the 'fee'?

I agree with you about thinking that people would do the 'right thing' this is why I was so surprised - there was no doubt about who owned the camera... so the right thing to do is to just give it back.

My friend offered a 1000 baht... which doesn't sound like much but both my friend and the guy who found it are working as DM here and when you are working here as a DM 1000 baht is more then a morning/afternoons wages... He also offered to by him a few beers as well. My friend was really happy thinking he was going to get the camera back. That morning he had gone diving with his girl friend who was visiting for a few weeks and had just done the open water and advanced so there were the only pictures of her diving on the SD card too...

Professional courtesy (as in Dive Professional) would make at least a small effort to find the owner, return to owner within reason (ie. I wouldn't ship it back at my own cost), and of course take a bunch of silly selfies or group photos before returning it.

That guy was just tactless and money hungry.

Here in Florida, you're legally obligated to report finding lost property to the police. I think after some time if the owner doesn't claim it the finder can keep it. I read an article in the paper not too long ago about someone finding a cell phone and later tried to get it connected. Ended up getting charged with theft.

I'm guessing they don't have similar laws in Thailand.

I think it's a pretty crummy for this guy to have found the camera and not immediately offer it back to the owner. I guess what I consider moral behavior isn't considered the same by everyone.

I am not sure what the laws are here but I might try and find out today - I am curious.

In Australia you would also be legally obligated.

---------- Post added July 21st, 2013 at 12:09 AM ----------

to return what every you find... I am not sure if you are obligated to report the find though...

Back
Top Bottom