if you find a camera, do you give it back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, since there's proof on the memory card via the photos that the camera belongs to your friend, he probably even has legal grounds to get the camera back in small claims court. The guy who found his camera sounds like a real tool, so maybe it'd be fun to drag him to court just to show your appreciation for him withholding it from you. :p

The general consensus is that it is a legal issue in Thailand. Apparently property damage and theft is a very serious thing in Thailand.

Just my 2 cents: Before everyone turns this into a discussion of moral high ground, the reality of the situation is that people in different cultures do things differently.

Would I make an effort and return it to the owner immediately? Of course.

But does that apply to the locals in SE Asia or for that matter, other parts of the world? Maybe, maybe not. You and your friends are not in Australia and people do things differently around the world. You are in their part of the world and their country now.

I can say for sure that had camera was lost in Japan or Taiwan, 90% of the time your friend would've gotten the camera back and in fact, the finder would probably reject any monetary reward even if it was offered. Why? Because the pervasive thought in the culture is that this is the right thing to do. (Even though there is an absurd law in Taiwan that allows the finder to ask the owner for a 30% finders fee and by law, the owner has the pay the "ransom" - but this is a different discussion for a different day.)

That said, I can also guarantee you, had the same situation happened in China or some part of SE Asia, majority of the time, good luck on getting the camera back. Finder keeper. Their attitude is that if you lost it, it is open game. They found it and it is in their possession so now they have the ownership and if you want to get it back, it is up to their discretion.

Do I agree w/ this line of thinking? Hell no.

But does that make the locals bad people or scummy? In our culture, probably yes. But in the local culture, that is probably just the norm and how things have been done since inception.

I lost my cellphone in a cab while I was in China. I phoned the cab driver and told him that I left my cellphone in his car. He said he has it and he will bring it back to my hotel. But he wanted $50 USD for the trouble. I said fine, because again, that is how things are done out there in China and fifty bucks is worth my money in getting my cellphone back. But the guy never showed up and I am pretty sure he had sold my phone to the locals for a higher amount.

Was I fuming? Absolutely. I went to the police station and filed a report and the whole nine-yards. But did I get my phone back? Nope. The police did not do much about it and at the same time, majority of the locals were telling me that cest la vie, welcome to China. That is just the ways things are. You have to be responsible and be extra careful about your belongings. If you lose it, the onus is on you.

The bottom line: It is all about manage and align your expectation. We are not in our own countries anymore so gotta take away the colored lenses.

If the owner is obviously contactable and/or easily researched, then there's simply no excuse to not return it. To do otherwise is dishonest, IMHO.

That said, I don't think the finder is obligated to do a 'Sherlock Holmes' trace for owners if the equipment isn't marked up etc though... just don't assume 'ownership' the second you leave the water...

Keeping it concealed, when asked by another... that's downright theft.

Finder's fee is the discretion of the owner, not the finder. Demanding such would be extortion, IMHO.

Went diving in Bass Straight and found a new catch bag at 45 metres. Sooooo happy thinking I had a keeper. Dragged it around the whole dive and got back on the boat and told everyone how lucky I was. Then found one guy had lost his as he chased a lobster. Oh well, easy come easy go. It was his lucky day and he had written it off in his mind. For me morally the right thing to do as I would hope others would do the same for me.

Different culture - true. But he is American my friend Spanish and I am Australian. Koh Tao is not very much like Thailand - it is a multicultural bubble. In the end his boss who is German was very disappointed in the his unprofessional and dishonest attitude. Fortunately he eventually returned the camera to my friend after having to think it over and to 'sleep on it'...

Last edited:
Different culture - true. But he is American my friend Spanish and I am Australian. Koh Tao is not very much like Thailand - it is a multicultural bubble. In the end his boss who is German told him to give it back...

Some cultures believe in giving someone a good kicking for dishonesty and theft...

Different culture - true. But he is American my friend Spanish and I am Australian. Koh Tao is not very much like Thailand - it is a multicultural bubble. In the end his boss who is German told him to give it back...

In that case, looks like he assimilated to the local culture really well. LOL.

Joking aside, with that clarification, that is definitely not a cool move on his part.

People like that certainly enhance the negative stereotypes of Americans around the world.

'Cultural rules'? I'm not so sure. In the Philippines the Filipino's would usually give back the item if they knew it was owned by 'Dong' down the road. If it was owned by 'Hey Joe' it was kept.

This has been the case in every country I have lived in which views the 'white foreigner' as rich.

There are of course 'individuals' within these countries who 'do the right thing' regardless of whether the article belongs to a local or a foreigner. I lost a few things in the Phils, and had them returned after I eventually became 'more than Joe'. As a tourist, it was very rare.

His primary reason to justify the camera being his was 'the law of the sea.'

Which I would like to learn more about, if anyone can offer an explanation or a link to an explanation... What comes to mind is the days of pirates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom