If you could change one thing about the dive industry, what would it be??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd chase DCI out of business for the BS "we'll fix it for this price but you've got to pay $45 to have us test our work to make sure we did it right"

I would:

1) Detach instruction from LDS's in favor of a network independent instructors for hire, or maybe something akin to the "elmers" of the ham radio world but not as informal. Not necessarily a government agency, but a national non-profit certification and instructor-training agency, to administer tests and certify divers.

2) Promote diving in more places, ie in high school phys-ed curricula (and not just pricey private schools either), local rec renters, etc.

3) Eliminate boneheaded marketing and advertising. a) Use something besides models in bikinis to sell people on scuba. b) Stop selling scuba as *either* a macho techie extreme-sport or an exotic getaway activity, but rather as a fun outdoor activity that can be done wherever there is water. c) Encourage people to dive often and locally, not just at expensive tropical resorts once every year if that.

4) Price classes, gear, and travel within the reach of average working people. I mean really average, as in 1992-Chevy-Cavalier-with-a-missing-hubcap average.

My $0.02.

cheers

Billy S.

TSandM:
So I don't know what one could do to change the basic issues. Longer, more comprehensive OW courses might help, but would also drive away people who were unsure (as I was) of their commitment to the sport until they've actually had a chance to DO it. Provisional certification might help as well, but it would be my guess that the majority of really awful behavior/mistakes are made by people who don't WANT to be helped, just as in the horse world.

I had in mind when I wrote about provisional certification the diver who learns to dive in a land locked area and made their first OW dives in a cold lake or quarry with nothing to see, wearing leaky rental gear, and having a miserable experience. A lot of them complete their certification, after buying a full rig at the local shop, and never dive again. I think that is because their experience didn't match their expectations. They probably thought about taking a trip, but felt uncomfortable about their diving and unsure of whether they ever wanted to stick a regulator in their mouths again. A lot of people learn to dive, but never learn to like to dive. I don't think learning to dive should be such a trial. I don't know the statistics, but there are a great number of divers who have never dived again after their certification and that tells me the educational system failed them.

Quality of instruction. That's my opinion. Easy to say looking back at a lot of my training that it was poor. I think that people in general want cheap things (K-Mart) and that is what they get (and they are happy about it). The Average Joe does not want a $500 course he want a $159 course. My classes are limited to 4 people. If I have more I divide them up into seperate classes. Impossible to make it exciting with 8 people sitting in the pool waiting for their turn to remove/replace/clear their reg. I think crappy instruction is derived (here on Guam anyway) from people who try to make a living off teaching people to dive. Pump 'em in and out as quick as possible = more cash. I am happy to break even or maybe make enough to buy a little helium.

Rick Murchison:
Somehow, some way, someone devise a waiver that would make it impossible for lawsuits to be brought by those who want to assume sole responsibility for evaluating and using equipment, selecting boats & crew, etc...
That'd enable the "suit-proof" entrepreneur to drop prices for those folks on everything by about half.
Rick

Rick, do you have any data to support the allegation that immunity from lawsuits would enable to dive operator "drop prices for those folks on everything by about half". I doubt that liability insurance coverage for dive operators is a major contributor to overhead for the typical dive operation, particularly if the operator is anal about getting written releases signed by all customers.

Nothing!!!....It is perfect the way it is....Gotcha!...

Maybe getting the LDS more organized to compete with
internet companies....we recently had an LDS go out
of business in cave country...I was really surprised....

3) Eliminate boneheaded marketing and advertising. a) Use something besides models in bikinis to sell people on scuba.

I like the boneheaded marketers using models in bikinis. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom