If You Book a Dive, How bad does the Weather Need to Be For You to Want a Refund?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every year a couple of fishing boats end up on the rocks near the boat ramp. It happens because they are surfing on the front of a wave rather than running up the backside of the wave, and they can't make the sharp right hand turn to follow the channel on over to the ramp and get tossed onto the rocky shoreline instead.

ouch, I can see that...Our cat hull does some funny things in following seas, handling-wise.

In a lot of cities the streetside storm drains connect into the sewer system. Lots of rain puts sends more water into the sewage treatment plant than they can handle.

I don't know if that's what's going on in Honolulu, but if they can precisely say "xxx,xxxx gallons of untreated sewage were released", then that's what's going on.

Some cities have gone back and installed a separate drainage system for storm runoff in order to avoid the problem.

Check out my post if you want to learn about Oahu's infrastructure:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/talk-story/209102-aging-sewer-systems.html

yea, I saw yesterday they might not get permited on the water treatment again.....

I figure that a quality dive op will bend over backwards and let customers cancel for just about any sort of weather condition. You really don't want divers going out in conditions in which they are uncomfortable.

I tend to disagree. I have have experienced, many times, people who wanted to cancel because it was cloudy...or sprinkling...or a 10 knot wind...or 2 foot seas. Just because a dive op doesn't allow a last minute cancellation, does not mean they are making the diver go. It means that if the diver is cancelling a dive within the company's "no-cancellation" period, the diver just needs to accept responsibility for that cancellation. It doesn't mean they should feel forced to dive. (Of course, I am not referring to the type of conditions we experienced last week...lightening, very high seas, torrential downpour, etc.)

I think that divers sometimes forget that the sea moves, that there can be a current, that the vis can be low, that there can be surge, that surface conditions can be rough...yes, rough. They should definitely dive within their limitations, training, and comfort level. However, a dive op cannot surive if they let divers cancel because it will be bumpy, cloudy, rainy, etc.

cancelling a dive within the company's "no-cancellation" period, the diver just needs to accept responsibility for that cancellation.

I wait till the *day of* for this reason. I see little advantage in booking ahead, honestly. Operators want you to think you need to, but I find situations where the boat is full and they cannot accept any more money to be very rare.

We even dive day to day in Palau or Bali, if the place is not full. I prefer not to pre-pay for things, you lose any leverage regarding sites, options during bad weather, basically everything. I like making a *new deal* every day. Something happens and you want to dive with somebody else? ...you just do it, that is what vacation is all about for me, no obligations. Rain? stay in bed without any guilt. Mantas haven't showed up all week? Skip it, do something else.

I realize the operator's position is at odds with this, but we have different agendas. As long as most people pre-book, it makes it easy for guys like me to book last minute.

Booking the "day of" route has it benefits and it's drawbacks. Weather or personal mood may be considerations for some people, and that is fine, but if you are going to do the "day of" bookings you better be ready to have a "day off" also on occasion. At least in Kona, some companies really are full, almost every day. Some almost always have a spot or two avaialble. Some of the operators who go out a lot, but not everyday if not booked, or have a spare boat available, won't go out on a couple hours of notice or less unless they have enough customers and also crew standing around by the phone waiting... and that's very rare here.

One note, during the upcoming holiday season, and also during the spring/easter break period and oftentimes during the summer, last minute charters can be tough or impossible to come by here. A lot of it depend on where, and when, you travel.

Cancellation policies do seem to run the gamut, so it's always worthwhile to investigate. Also, at least in Kona, just because the water and wind and clouds are snotty at your hotel doesn't mean it's not flat, sunny and calm out on the water where the dive boats are going... that's a huge rub here in Kona as the weather and wind conditions north of the airport are often completley unrelated to the conditions south of it, and the major resorts are to the north. Most operators are out to show their customers the best diving they can and will cancel if conditions merit.

I feel like I'm ranting, but I get my share of calls around 8-8:30 in the morning from people looking for a ride that aren't likely to find one no matter how many numbers I give them when I can't help.

really? I am surprised to hear you all turn people away, it seems like there are so many operators.

We have never missed a dive, but I know it could happen and I could handle that.

I really hate the obligation, especially stretched into a week. Plus, it seems like once operators have your money even the best don't really care so much that you don't want to go to Jellyfish Lake AGAIN. I'd rather just show up and say "I want the boat that is not going to Jellyfish Lake, please."

I've done the mantas five times, and you've probably done hundreds, but if they did not show for the last three nights and it is rainy and windy, I'd rather go to Huggo's with my two-hundred dollars. It seems a more likely scenario than not being able to get a manta dive in my week in Kona. Statistically, am I wrong? It should be easy to calculate if you have good numbers.

I hate to cancel so much, I'd rather just never book.

At least with regard to Molokini, many boats leave the ramp/harbor before the phone answerer would wake up to answer the phone. The correct number of tanks, food and drinks is already on the boat and any empty seats may be taken by friends, family and off work employees.

Talking to a few operators well in advance, letting them know your tentative schedule, skill level, dive site desires and any flexibility might allow you to make quality arrangements the day before, but unless there are second charters (~11AM) day of booking does not work well in South Maui.

Also in Maui County, we are not permitted to sell activities in beach parks, on beaches and most likely at the ramp. Sales are properly conducted at the place of business or over the phone. I'm not saying people have not gone down to the ramp at 6:30 AM and found a seat, but you better bring your own tanks/refreshments and the best operators might not take you even if they have seats. Harbors are a different story, but they are much farther from Molokini.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom