If You Book a Dive, How bad does the Weather Need to Be For You to Want a Refund?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how much of the sewage issues are a natural consequence of this much rain, in any coastal city. I mean, where is it actually spilling from? maybe charlie99 knows the answer. of course, I kn ow about the break last year, I am speaking about just the overflow back-up mess that puts E. Coli into the coastal waters.

Oh, and is the MSRA (staph resistant to antibiotics) problem like in the school in Virginia and all over one of the organisms is sewage, particularly? I know that it is everywhere, but does sewage represent a special risk for this bug? I would guess not. But the surfers all get some bad stuff in Indonesia and places with raw sewage close to shore...what did the guy who fell in the canal actually die of? I know he was septic, but did they ever identify a certain organism? I think he had liver issues beforehand which could have compromised him.

I might start a new thread, cause I want to know about this. Practical information for swimming in ****. News we can use, lol.

I never called a boat dive due to weather, so I've been out in 8 to 10 ft seas and lightning. I have called a few beach dives when it wasn't worth the fight to get out for what was sure to be no viz anyway.

This past summer, I was gearing up and a sheriff came zooming up and jumped out of his car to take pictures of two water spouts. I watched for a few minutes and finished gearing up.

Getting back on the boat can be a challenge, but it depends on how comfortable you are with rough seas. A few years back, I went diving in 7ft seas and miss-timed the grab for the ladder. The bottom rung hit me in the jaw so hard it knocked me back and knocked the reg out of my mouth. I was lucky I didn't get seriously hurt.

"I care so little about my customers that i'll take um out anyway, I got bills to pay!"

From what I have seen, this factor plays a significant role in accidents. Even divers who should call a dive and don't want to lose the money. Unless I am aware that a boat will be sold out, I prefer to book day of myself. Operators taking people out in exceptional conditions without the option to reschedule is poor form in my book. If they opt to go, it is a different story. The tourists (because they don't know the local waters) that are in poor shape are the ones that really seem set up for trouble.

Which two boats went out, out of curiosity?

not the Honey-Ann I hope...

I did hear about the "big swim" in at the gym from some folks that were peeved.
What were the seas like by the pier near Sealife Park yesterday?

Getting back on the boat can be a challenge
Especially on our boat trying to doff in the water, freaks me out at times with that long hose goatroap I have to do with myself.

Sara and I heard a rumor about a "big swim" that happened yesterday as well. Hope someone in the know can fill us all in on the adventure.

Matt

oh by the way, everyone does realize that there was massive sewage releases around the island so if ya like diving in poo,,,, more power to ya
(i'd rather wait a week myself)

What? And miss the migration of the wrinkle-necked trout?

When the white caps are as long as telephone poles....

its not that bad...

Attachments

• DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 76
As far as I'm concerned, if the captain and crew are willing to go, so am I. I've dove low viz, rough seas and high current and sometimes that's all been on the same dive!

I might want some change in entry/exit methods depending on conditions, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom