If money was no object......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romito

Registered
Reaction score
If you had unlimited resources and were purchasing a new BCD, regulator, computer and 2nd air, what would be your dream set-up?

Very, very subjective but I just did this last winter (new equipment, money no object). I bought a Seaquest Balance, Atomic M1, Suunto Vytec and Seaquest Airsource.

After 75 dives with this gear the only thing I'd change is the 2nd air (I'd get the Atomic).

BTW, I also got a DUI dry suit, Atomic fins, DiveRite canister light.....cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching.

There's lots of nice gear out there. You'll get lots and lots of opinions. It's hard to say one high end piece of gear is better than another.

WHAT, nobody has came along and said "BP/W, apeks regs"? Now most people that would say that wouldn't be caught dead with an 2nd air, assuming that you are talking about the inflator and octo all in one.

I have started mine but not finished since money is an issue for me this year.

Zeagle Brigade (bought)
Apeks regs (next year)
Either a Suunto comp or a Aeris Atmos AI
2nd air-no way

Just what I have right now that I upgraded over the past 6 months.
Poseidon Jetsteam - 1st., 2nd, & Yellow Jetstream Octo
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus
Seaquest Pro QD - BC
Kept Blades Fins & 7mm Fathom Wet Suit

crpntr133:
WHAT, nobody has came along and said "BP/W, apeks regs"? Now most people that would say that wouldn't be caught dead with an 2nd air, assuming that you are talking about the inflator and octo all in one.

I have started mine but not finished since money is an issue for me this year.

Zeagle Brigade (bought)
Apeks regs (next year)
Either a Suunto comp or a Aeris Atmos AI
2nd air-no way

What I intended was 2nd regulator (whatever form it might take)

romito:
What I intended was 2nd regulator (whatever form it might take)

I find the whole issue of equipment choices facinating. There are so many strong opinions out there. I dive with a couple of DIR guys so I'm familiar with BP and wings, doubles, necklace regs, long hoses, etc. Fortunatley they are nice guys and don't belittle me for using "recreational" gear. I could buy "DIR gear" but don't want to. Perhaps some day but I like what I have now.

One of the things I really wanted to do when I bought all new stuff was eliminate hoses. I hate hoses. That's why I went with the Seaquest AirSource and the Vytec computer. Very non-DIR but I love it. Eliminated two hoses. When I do warm water diving I eliminate the dry suit inflator hose. Even better!

Here's another can of worms-
For dives deeper than 100' I'm going to start using a 30cf pony that I recently bought. It's a small tank that I can clip onto my BC. Makes me feel better knowing I have that extra air and reg (even though I dive 130cf tanks). Lost of people hate these pony tanks and think they are worthless. I don't care. I dive what I like and I don't care what others think.

This thread should be interesting.

This is really going to light some fires for some people, but here goes.

BC: Oxycheq 30# SS wing/Backplate
Regs: Poseidon Xstream Dive for primary and backup (if you can get them serviced where you live), Or Scubapro if you can't.
Computer: Suunto Vytec
10' SMB
Helios 18w HID light. It's like diving with a laser on your belt.
Ikelite PCa backup light. Very bright for it's size.
Fins: whatever's most comfortable for you

Hope that helps.

Easy.
Whatever newest Atomic reg is. plus the octo
Scubapro Jacket BC, Classic or something along those lines
Aladin computer, nitrox, not hoseless.
Full foot blade fins

Its all small and simple, just what i like. I'm not a techie type and so big BP/wings is all overkill for me, don't need it don't want it.

This is basically the same or similar setup as what i've had for the last 3000 dives and will be the same for the next 3000 dives.
Now dream camera setups on the other hand...

before you purchase any equipment you might want to read the thread "dumped on again by diving companies" discuses the problem of Dacor/Mares not supporting their products

There's alot of great products out there. I spent a winter doing evals and here's what I bought..(money WAS an object)

Halcyon Eclipse 30# w/SS bp
SP g250/r190 w/mk25
cochran commander
oms canister light
scout backup light
mares avant quattros
henderson 3mm hyperstretch
sunnto sk6 compass
5' smb w/delrin reel

Back
Top Bottom