If money was no object......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mleong:
Have you actually used one?
I tried one at the scuba show. I am slightly nearsighted... I'm not THAT nearsighted. To use one of these, you need to be nearsighted enough to need a corrective lens of -4.0 or more.
It is useless under water unless a normally-sighted person uses a contact lens of a +4.0.

Of course, that means that on the boat, you either have to remove the lens, walk around extremely nearsighted, or wear the -4.0 glasses that they will be glad to sell you... and last time I checked, Gatorz doesn't make -4.0 Radiators :)

RichLockyer:
So I guess I shouldn't mention the 16 6500psi cylinders I'd premix EAN32 into for the primary cascade?
Makes blending a little easier ya know... :D
Blending Nitrox is so old-school. ;-) You can get a membrane or pressure swing adsorption unit that will make ultra high purity nitrox from air at any ratio all the way to 90% or more. Any impurities will be in the ppm level.

Want EAN32? Fire up the Rix compressor and set the dial to 32. (Well, it's a bit more complicated than that, but not much more if you have a decent PLC to run the system.)

Lets see

1. Megalodon Closed Curcuit Mixed Gas Rebreather $7500.00
2. One OMS 18 cuft LP oxygen cylinder $200.00
3. One OMS 18 cuft LP diluent cylinder $200.00
4. Armadillo sidemount harness BCD converted for rebreather $550.00
5. 2 Poseidon Xstream 1st stage regs $600.00
6. Amoxtec oxygen / Helium analyser $1200.00
7. Jetsam Mini oxygen and helium portable booster $1500
8. 2 Delta P technologies VR3 CCR dive computer $2500
9. Whites Rescue drysuit $1800
10. Weezle extreme plus undergarment $350
11. Nikon D100 DSLR camera and 10.5mm wide angle lense $2500
12. Aquatica D100 housing with dome port $1800
13. Nikon SB102 strobe $1000
14. 2 Slave strobes $1000

Christmas is coming up :)

I was all set ot get one until I realized that it was plastic, not glass, and would shortly have the same "frosted" look that the cover on my computer has.

If it was glass, I'd buy it in a minute.

Terry

RichLockyer:
Have you actually used one?
I tried one at the scuba show. I am slightly nearsighted... I'm not THAT nearsighted. To use one of these, you need to be nearsighted enough to need a corrective lens of -4.0 or more.
It is useless under water unless a normally-sighted person uses a contact lens of a +4.0.

Of course, that means that on the boat, you either have to remove the lens, walk around extremely nearsighted, or wear the -4.0 glasses that they will be glad to sell you... and last time I checked, Gatorz doesn't make -4.0 Radiators :)

Let's face it ... scuba equipment is expensive ..... especially the good stuff. Now there is a program just announced that might let you trade in that old beatup regulator for a Mares Abyss. Many dive magazines agree that the Abyss is one of the top regulators out there today. It retails for over $500 but you can find it discounted for about $445 thru many internet retailers. Thru the newly announced Dacor "trade in" program if you own an old Dacor regulator made before 2000 you can trade it in on a new Abyss for only $299 ....... that's quite a discount. to find out more about this program go to www.scubaboard.com/t110024-.html for more information

What a fun question!

As a newbie I'd want:

Halcyon Eclipse 30/Explorer 40 (hey I can have 2 right since money is no object)
Apeks ATX200s (pair for doubles)
VR3 computer for the sheer hell of it!
Second air would probably be Apeks ATX50
B. Miller light
Jetfins
DUI drysuit

Right now, steel tanks. A nice big pile of E7-100's, say 6 or 8 of them, would make me real happy :D

Back to reality, that isn't happening.

While I'm not unhappy with my 1978 Scubapro regulator, a new one would be nice. I think I'd be perfectly happy with a Mk16/G250.

And while I don't really dislike by jacket BC, I do have in mind going to an AL BP/W config at some time, so if money was no object right now I'd prolly do that.

Well just sticking to the original question about BCD, Regs, Computer, and back up air source for a minute.

I would get a new Halcyon 30lb wing (The old wing is getting a little aged now)for my backplate but wouldnt change the backplate or harness.
I have a few Apeks DS4 first stages with Oceanic Delta3 seconds and they work great so wouldnt change them, unless to buy more so I never service another reg again he he he.
Computer-I already have a Suunto Vyper and might go to a Stinger because it's a little smaller.

As for money being no object- I would buy everything Rich is buying, and pay him to set up the super dooper blending system for me:D
However I would buy 4 long body Gavins and 4 short body Gavins. Gotta make sure my mates have the toys to play with me:D

romito:
If you had unlimited resources and were purchasing a new BCD, regulator, computer and 2nd air, what would be your dream set-up?

That would do nicely. Then I'd be able to actually JUDGE what I really like and want while diving on a regular basis, and spending my unlimited resources! :D

The one issue with throwing out this type of question is that most here will have NEVER dived about 90% of the gear out there, so they really have nothing to base their opinions on other than 1) Reviews 2) Friends.

A better way to approach this maybe to ask what people ARE diving, and what they do/don't like about that setup.

While many on this forum disagree, I think ScubaDiving does a rather good job at reviewing Stuff. You may want to check out thier website as they actually do have people who review stuff that has tried several dozen BCD's/Regs/etc., so IOW's may have a more objective opinion.

You also fail to address one of the most important questions, what type of diver RU, and where are you planning to dive?

For my response if money were no object, I'd have a different setup for each type of diving I do. As I can not afford that, then I make compromises as to what works best in the worst conditions I dive, and that goes with me to the tropics as well.

But you can hardle expect a Cave Divers dream setup to resemble the setup of someone living and diving in Key Largo who has no interest in tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom