If I were a solo diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wristshot:
*whispering* Anyone else notice that this thread is two and a half years old?

Ahhh...oops!

Well if you have a buddy, your chances of being bitten by a shark are probably 50% better. I never heard of a double attack. (Maybe there were no survivors to tell the tale). :D

If I really wanted to dive solo with a single tank and single regulator I'd have to change my rock bottom calculation to include a failure of the 1st stage oring. Contrary to what most people believe a cylinder does not empty instantaneously so if you've practiced breathing off the cylinder without the 1st stage you've still got time to head up provided you're well within NDLs.

The chance of a cylinder neck oring failure is so low as to be considered negligible.

Without certain buddies I'd probably get a longer BT even if I had to turn around at 1000+psi because I wouldn't be chasing them all over the place or constantly breaking my swimming rhythm to look around to see where they got to.

So that leaves narcosis - avoid deep dives.

And entanglement issues - make sure you can unequip and equip at depth and can reach at least one of your knives with either hand in any position. (Amazing how many divers wear their only knife on the outside of one of their calves where they can't reach it with the opposite hand.)

And we can't forget that many divers that condemn solo diving are doing it all the time. I often witness DMs soloing to 40m to tie an anchor line on to a wreck or just going down because someone dropped a mask or a weight belt off the boat platform.
Then follow it up with a look of shock if someone wants to dive alone.

All pure speculation. I don't solo dive & wouldn't recommend it.

Wristshot:
*whispering* Anyone else notice that this thread is two and a half years old?

Hammerhead (and apparently you and me too) was bored. Still only 54 posts, no MOTF this.

If you're solo diving and no one is there to hear you offgassing... :joke:

RoatanMan:
Hammerhead (and apparently you and me too) was bored. Still only 54 posts, no MOTF this.
Yes, but on the upside, if we keep posting it will stay on the "new posts" list, and we'll suck more people in :)

Over 2 years old .... and still no response from UP

:D

Doc Intrepid:
Lamont, was your mask up on your forehead this morning? :D

lampshade or underwear from last night, maybe?

i certainly *feel* like i had that kind of night last night, anyway... probably the soul-crushing meeting that i just got out of...

I haven't heard a valid response on either side yet.

Why don't you all pony up the money like I did and get that new fangled gill implant. Now I don't have any of that heavy gear. I wear my mask, fins and carry a sandwich in a fannypack all while diving to any depth I want for as long as I want. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom