If I can do it....you can too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job. I had the same awaking back in april this year with several warnings from the DOC and a family full of heart issues (most caused by bad habits) I decided at the age of 25 that if I want to be around to see my daughter grow up it was time for a change. I did the same plan you did (at least what you described is the same plan) and since then I have went from 320 to 260 and I am still loosing. My goal is 200 by feb when I go to enlist.

Genxweb,

If you enlisted then thank you for your service to your country. We appreciate it.

I have several friends in the service. For goal monitoring I was using the military standards to evaluate myself periodically. I haven't done so in a while but I know I am still making progress. My running pace has improved from 9 minute mile to 6 minutes (over 2 miles) upon last evaluation (meaning I ran 2 miles in 12 minutes). While my age would keep me from enlisting; my fitness would not at this point.

A friend and I rode in an indoor Ironman team cycling competition and took 3rd place. That was a cool experience. I can't wait to do it again. My focus will be on getting ready for a biathalon this july and hopefully the Chicago qualifier marathon this October. I should have enough time to build my pace and high mile tolerance before October. All I need is a 7 minute 40 second mile pace to qualify for the Boston Marathon. That is a long term goal of mine. My friend will be running his second time in the Boston marathon in a few weeks. That is motivation for me as I am excited for him being there.

When I run my limitation is my cardio system. I can't breathe enough at high intensity. When I cycle my limitation is my leg strength and lactate threshold. My lungs can keep up fine. I have some great training for both of those though.

So, I will continue my training plan as it is (vared) as long as I am making progress.

This stuff is addicting.

Good luck to all.....

Oh yeah, we dove Cozumel in December and are planning Guadalupe shark diving this fall. Can't wait....

AWESOME!

Thanks for sharing your story.. another one to add in the "motivation" column..

Competed in my first Duathlon on Saturday 7-15. 5k run/25 mile bike/5k run. Pretty cool experience. The people seemed interesting and great (rooting each other on). Kind of a different segment of the population; the level of fitness was impressive. I didn't meet my goal but satisfied with my first attempt nonetheless.

The heat was brutal. I cramped up in the final run and had to walk it off numerous times. I chalk that up to conditioning more than anything else though. I had plenty of hydration on the bike.

I started laughing at one point though because I was screwed. My quads started cramping and when I tried to stretch it out my hamstring would cramp.... My brain said run but my legs said....nope, not gonna do it.

I only lost 4 places overall with the final walk/run. Yet it made little difference; 28th overall and 6th out of 6 for my division. Without the cramping I still would have had a hard time taking 5th in my division.

I have my work cut out for me. I welcome the challenge of improving though. Races are a great motivator and assessment tool. I learned a lot in one experience.

Back to marathon training for October...

Good luck to all.

WIBB,

Congratulations on the duathlon. I've only ever done one (Powerman Alabama), and I had a similar cramping issue on the second run. After stopping too many times to massage a quad cramp out, I ended up just running through it. The next day, it looked like I got whacked with a baseball bat in the leg.

They are loads of fun, though, and I wish there were more in the Raleigh area since I haven't made it to the pool in some time.

Cameron

Thanks CM.

I'm not sure what is going on in that regard (cramping) other than my age and conditioning. I was fine after the event. I think I ate too little in that case. That and the heat.

On October 1st I completed my first marathon (26.2 miles). I was going to back out due to a foot injury but went for it anyway. With the taper and weeks rest leading in I was hoping it was enough. It was. Except, the downtime worked against me. I missed my second 20 mile run in training and the taper was extended. I tried running each run in the taper and cut each one short when my foot got tender.

So, while I did complete the marathon I didn't make my goal time. I developed knee pain at the 7 mile point (IT band syndrome - no surpirse) that affected my gait by mile 10. That resolved, or was ignored, by mile 13 when my legs started to cramp up. That was a huge mental barrier. I chugged out 13 more miles of cramping, walking it off, and more running till I cramped again. Miles 14-21 were the worst. After 21 it was like a burst of energy and confidence. Nothing was stopping me at that point. Well, except for the cramps..... Walk it off... walk it off....

During my run, I kept a few things in my head to motivate me. This video and story is one example...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCTIigaloQ Incredible story.

I'm back in the gym for some more strengthening of weak spots. Then I plan to do a lot more hill work. The short runs will be fun. It's a lot easier to work on 5K speeds and the benefits carry over.

I'll sneak some 5K and 10K races in but my next big event is a 100 mile bike ride fundraiser next March. I'm going to train now for 100 miles at a completion effort. Then I will roll into a second training effort to improve on the competion time.

The combined training should condition me for better traithalon efforts in the future. Those are loads of fun.

Good luck all!

WIBB, congratulations on your first Marathon and Du. I'm not sure that I'm ready to do a full marathon yet, but I have registered for a half in Jan 2007. I also haven't done a Du yet, but I've done my fair share of Triathlons and Adventure Races over the past few years. Have fun with your century too, I just did my first this past weekend and had a blast. What charity are you riding for? You'll have to put a link to your fundraising info in your signature so that we can help out. Keep up the great work!

-Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom