If I can do it....you can too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WIBB

Registered
Reaction score
Almost two years ago I made a pact with myself to change my eating and exercise habits. I had grown to over 210 pounds and felt like crap every day. I was also starting to experience heartburn and reflux syptoms as a result of my weight. On numerous occasions I awoke after aspirating some stomach acid. This is not good.

Sure, I could have gone to the doctor and had him prescribe me something to help with that. But, that isn't really solving the problem.... As a pharmacist I know a few things I could do on my own as well. Either way wasn't the right way though.

What I did instead was throw in the towel and give up on my failed ways. I formulated a plan; a stringent plan to live by for a while. I just needed guidance to get myself pointed in a better direction.

I won't get into details of what brand name plan I used but the gist is pretty common now. Multiple small meals each day, balanced portions, and regular exercise. After 12 weeks I dropped the "system" and migrated to my own by switching to primarily natural foods.

I started out with a weightlifting mentality along with some limited cardio. But, I learned a few things and decided I don't want to try and go for the musclehead look. I'd rather be lean and agile. So, now I focus on mostly cardio and stretching with some weight lifting included. Cross training is a lot more fun than any repetitive workout plan. I like variety.

From the time I altered my eating habits my energy shot up, I felt better, and my attitude improved. I think I was actually tolerable to be around again....lol

I'm currently at around 175 pounds and still converting fat to lean muscle. I think it is safe to say I am in the best shape of my life. No more reflux or stomach issues either.

For me fitness has become a slight addiciton. I love how I feel. So, I keep on doing it.... It's encouraging to interact with others with similar experience.

Good luck.

lemond_me.jpg

Congratulations! I'm a year into my transformation and it does take some work and mindful nutritional choices, but it is entirely worth it. It's amazing how many "little issues" resolve themselves, isn't it? And there are very few things that a nice bike ride, run or swim can't fix :) Keep up the great work.

-Frank

What a great story. I think that a lot of people would have an easier time losing weight if they switched to natural foods like you did. There are so many addictive ingredients in so-called "diet foods" that it is very easy to overeat, or at a minimum, it becomes difficult to stop thinking about your next meal.

Congratulations, and keep us posted.

Cameron

So... do you work out? :D
Congratulations, keep up the good habits. I quit smoking almost a year ago, and only gained ten pounds. Might try and lose'm.

We don't believe you post a before picture..........

You're a beautiful man, Azza! I had a similar experience about a year and a half ago. I went from 255 down to 194 today. Cycling is also my main form of exercise.

ShakaZulu:
We don't believe you post a before picture..........

Okay..... You asked for it. This was a pic after my 12 weeks on the "program".

http://pages.prodigy.net/trbclb/12WKS.jpg

I did mostly weight lifting and some short duration cardio back then. I have a leg length issue that became a problem. I ended up hurting my hip because my right side was weak and imbalanced compared to my left. I spent the next year slowly working out the flexibility and building strength. I still have to stay on top of the flexibility but my strength and balance is resolving to where I can really get into a groove with my workouts. I have added sprints to my "routine" if you want to call it that. I don't have a rigid routine anymore. I just do it. If I go too many days I get antsy to ride, run or lift.... My mood decides.

Actually, I can't wait to ride my bike tomorrow. If I feel strong I plan 30 quick paced miles before work. We'll see how it shapes up.

Thanks for the compliments. If I inspire someone great. Like I said, it is motivating to converse with people sharing the same experiences.

The wife and I are planning to dive Hawaii (Maui) and Coz (again) this winter. So, I'll be around to share about that too....

that is a good story. even though i am only 17 i am between 130-140. my doctors tell me im healthy and people say i look good. i want to be in more shape for when i start my scuba training. im trying to get into the gym with my athletic boyfriend, but im scared that i cant do it. i have those "problem areas" including that annoying bulge in your belly and those inner thighs that wont separate :429: . i used to run two miles a few times a week but nothing was changing. i love your story. it makes me want to go work out right this moment.
livefish
WIBB:
Almost two years ago I made a pact with myself to change my eating and exercise habits. I had grown to over 210 pounds and felt like crap every day. I was also starting to experience heartburn and reflux syptoms as a result of my weight. On numerous occasions I awoke after aspirating some stomach acid. This is not good.

Sure, I could have gone to the doctor and had him prescribe me something to help with that. But, that isn't really solving the problem.... As a pharmacist I know a few things I could do on my own as well. Either way wasn't the right way though.

What I did instead was throw in the towel and give up on my failed ways. I formulated a plan; a stringent plan to live by for a while. I just needed guidance to get myself pointed in a better direction.

I won't get into details of what brand name plan I used but the gist is pretty common now. Multiple small meals each day, balanced portions, and regular exercise. After 12 weeks I dropped the "system" and migrated to my own by switching to primarily natural foods.

I started out with a weightlifting mentality along with some limited cardio. But, I learned a few things and decided I don't want to try and go for the musclehead look. I'd rather be lean and agile. So, now I focus on mostly cardio and stretching with some weight lifting included. Cross training is a lot more fun than any repetitive workout plan. I like variety.

From the time I altered my eating habits my energy shot up, I felt better, and my attitude improved. I think I was actually tolerable to be around again....lol

I'm currently at around 175 pounds and still converting fat to lean muscle. I think it is safe to say I am in the best shape of my life. No more reflux or stomach issues either.

For me fitness has become a slight addiciton. I love how I feel. So, I keep on doing it.... It's encouraging to interact with others with similar experience.

Good luck.

lemond_me.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom