If backplate/wing systems are so good, why do people sell them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The man from whom I bought my original backplate and wing (which, btw, I still have 7 years later, and still use) is the Imelda Marcos of dive gear. I couldn't tell you how many times Bob has decided he wants to try a new wing, a new plate, a new light, a new regulator, a new dry suit . . . and that involves selling the old one :)

I've also seen a lot of people cycle out of diving altogether, and I hate to say it, but the folks who go full-tilt boogie up the training ladder to tech seem particularly susceptible to running out of classes to take, and moving on to rock climbing or something else they can learn to be the best at.

It always amuses me when I read the advice telling divers they should get a BP/W because it's the last BC you'll ever need/own. All you'll ever need to do is replace a piece of webbing here or a strap there. Yet it seems like most divers who buy one then buy another plate and then another set of wings etc.

I think the bottom line is people just like to buy and sell stuff. I had a Scubapro Classic Jacket bc and it was fine. Dove it for years and could still be. But then they came out with the Classic Plus and I wanted that. Several years later I wanted to buy a BI so I bought the Seahawk. One of these days I'll probably buy something else. Same with regs, fins, and masks. Someone will come out with the "latest and greatest" and no matter what folks have, they'll buy the new stuff.

By the way, I was one of those folks who tried a BP/W and didn't like it.

Not sure you understand what you are talking about. New plates/wings are purchased to expand diving. A 50 lb wing used in doubles diving will taco a single tank like no other so usually divers opt for a lower lift wing, like 27-30 lb. of lift. By swapping out a wing for a couple hundred bucks, you've added a whole new opportunity to your diving.

Considering for about $550 total, I have a stainless plate, an AL plate, and two sized wings, I'd say I'm miles ahead of the jacket BC population that will never be able to dive doubles. My set up allows me to dive a single tank with less weight on my belt (stainless plate) to a very heavy set of doubles in an AL plate. This allows me to balance my rig in nearly every situation. All that for about the cost of a high end jacket BC.

Course, if you never want to dive doubles then more power to the jacket BC. To each his own.

Just re-designed a BP in both SS and AL to suit my preferences, had both cut and bent by Fred Tagge. Which leaves me with a nearly useless OMS SS BP...

Who knows, I might even consider sidemount if it ever catches on...

Excellent Question!

It's absurd to claim that you see more BP/W's in the "classifieds" then traditional BCD's.

Currently an eBay search for used auctions in the buoyancy compensators area returns 391 auctions. Adding the keyword "backplate" returns 5 auctions. Adding the keyword "wing" returns 10 auctions.

There's no shortage for used gear but the resale market for BP/W is very, very small.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like a backplate more because I can use it on both rec and tech dives. I'm not in a rig I'm uncomfortable with at any time because single tank or double, I'm rigged the same. For less than 2 jacket BCs I have nearly unlimited configuration options to balance my rig. A BC is a divable piece of gear. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom