If backplate/wing systems are so good, why do people sell them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is prone to fashions, just like any other equipment-intensive sport.

Diving also attracts "mayflies", people who take up the sport, buy everything new and shiny, then quit within a year because they lose interest or get a fright.

So, people buy a BP/W, not because they understand or need one but because they think it is "in" and then give up and sell everything.

I suspect very few of the sellers will be long-term, experienced divers who dive frequently unless they are selling to upgrade one or more elements of their gear.

I know personally I was introduced to the BP/W setup and now I ended up with four types of plates and three wings! I've recently purchased a Halcyon Travelor and I'll be selling my Oxycheq 30# singles rig w/ Kydex plate. I think I'd have to agree with most of the previous posts. I started with used gear and I'm currently upgrading to the brand and type of gear I want. Because there is tons of variations and brands theres alot of market out there to whos gear is better and your constantly trying new stuff. Personally I like the Blue H gear. lol and Mitch I'll remember that as I see you bounce around like a bouy the next time were rolling up our SMB's
Brian

I know personally I was introduced to the BP/W setup and now I ended up with four types of plates and three wings! I've recently purchased a Halcyon Travelor and I'll be selling my Oxycheq 30# singles rig w/ Kydex plate. I think I'd have to agree with most of the previous posts. I started with used gear and I'm currently upgrading to the brand and type of gear I want. Because there is tons of variations and brands theres alot of market out there to whos gear is better and your constantly trying new stuff. Personally I like the Blue H gear. lol and Mitch I'll remember that as I see you bounce around like a bouy the next time were rolling up our SMB's
Brian

What they say on the inner-net is true...I'm constantly fighting with my head being pushed forward into the water.

I was going to sell it all and get poodle jackets...but then I got a can light. The was enough counter balance, so now I'm good....I think??? hee hee!

I don't roll up my SMB at the surface. I just let it trail behind me on the surface swim, it gets the line twist out. :D
When I'm done I just wad all that loose string in one of my pockets....what else am I supposed to put in them.

Sorry for the thread derail.

-Mitch

Last edited:
Diving is prone to fashions, just like any other equipment-intensive sport.

Diving also attracts "mayflies", people who take up the sport, buy everything new and shiny, then quit within a year because they lose interest or get a fright.

So, people buy a BP/W, not because they understand or need one but because they think it is "in" and then give up and sell everything.

I suspect very few of the sellers will be long-term, experienced divers who dive frequently unless they are selling to upgrade one or more elements of their gear.

Don't you just love those mayflies? Makes browsing the "For Sale" sections worthwhile.

It always amuses me when I read the advice telling divers they should get a BP/W because it's the last BC you'll ever need/own. All you'll ever need to do is replace a piece of webbing here or a strap there. Yet it seems like most divers who buy one then buy another plate and then another set of wings etc.

I think the bottom line is people just like to buy and sell stuff. I had a Scubapro Classic Jacket bc and it was fine. Dove it for years and could still be. But then they came out with the Classic Plus and I wanted that. Several years later I wanted to buy a BI so I bought the Seahawk. One of these days I'll probably buy something else. Same with regs, fins, and masks. Someone will come out with the "latest and greatest" and no matter what folks have, they'll buy the new stuff.

By the way, I was one of those folks who tried a BP/W and didn't like it.

A BCD is a buoyancy compensation device. A jacket (or vest) BCD can be thought of as a category and the combination of a backplate and a wing are another category of BCD. They both work quite well.

A lot of backmount "Backplate and Wing" divers are moving to sidemount, thus the activity...
I agree. The systems for sale are tech divers going into side mount. Or, people getting out of diving due to health reasons.

---------- Post Merged at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:37 AM ----------

Maybe they are all tired of the BP/W pitching them forward while at the surface.:D

-Mitch
Yeah, cause that's such a huge problem!
What's up with "can't do cave in a BP/W? DIR configuration came from the Wakulla Springs research team.

Some folks just NEED to follow the path taken by so many. That is, start out with a traditional BCD. You may be fully satisfied with such a rig and stick with it - or you may not stick with diving anyway. But if you stick with diving and eventually recognize the desirable features of a BP/W, you will be able to make the conversion later.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom