If backplate/wing systems are so good, why do people sell them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubles have a lot of mass. A rigid plate and a harness that can't slip helps keep them solidly in place throughout all the phases of diving -- walking on land, floating on the surface, and while diving. A BC that relies on adjustable straps and fabric to keep tanks in place is not likely to be able to stabilize them as well, but I have to say that I am speaking entirely from experience with a single tank, where no fabric BC that I've seen has done anywhere near as good a job of keeping the tank centered as our backplate systems do.

It doesn't take away from the pluses of a plate, but plenty of people use transpacs and similar which are in essence straps and fabric.

Nereus,

Apologies for goofing on your thread. But, hey, with only 16 posts you have a "hot" thread that is pushing 50 posts and a mod smackdown. :D

No apologies needed. It did help the thread and will hopefully help others using the "search" feature. I'm not sure who Nereas is. since I'm a newbie to the forum. Thanks again everyone for the clarification on BCD's

Does he also dive independent doubles as that picture suggests? This idea is getting worse by the post...

What do you mean? I dive these and they work great. Independent doubles work great for any diver who is brave enough to take the regulator out of his mouth.:D

I am also one of those that tried the BP/W and didn't like it.

Does he also dive independent doubles as that picture suggests? This idea is getting worse by the post...

Doesn't sidemount divers use independent doubles?

---------- Post Merged at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:52 AM ----------

I am also one of those that tried the BP/W and didn't like it.

What system did you try? How long did you try it? and Why don't you like it?

Back
Top Bottom