IDI Advantage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by bobafett21
That's perfect. I am glad I found this discussion board. I hope to be able report back on my purchase soon.:wink:
Bob,
I have a hunch that you have no hands on access (or at least haven't found it) to any shops or divers with BP/wing setups and will ultimately end up buying a standard BC.

So with that in mind let me suggest that you forego getting a back inflation expensive *tech* BC and just get a cheap poodle jacket BC. Put the cheapest BC on in the shop and inflate it. If it inflates out away from your body... buy it. If it squeezes in toward your body and makes it hard to breath... don't buy it...try another one.

This cheap BC will let you have fun scuba diving and when/if you really get serious about wreck/tech diving you will be able to get a backplate/wing set up without having lost too much money.

Dive - have fun - be safe :)

My answer to the fact that local dive shops did not have bp/wings to try was to go to a combo lds/online retailer call Extreme Exposure. They will let you buy the gear, try it for a month, and return it no questions asked after 30 days. I have yet to see anyone who will step up to that plate. :jester:

All you would be is the shipping. To NC it was 15 each way. I saw this as the price of renting a bc a few times. It gave me a chance to try it out, and not have to worry about not scratching it up, this is not a "return as new" deal.

I like this question, and there is a poll over on another board here:
How many people have bought the bp/wings and then gone to a standard bc? And how many the other way?

Losing 100bux on the return is better than most of us will fare by selling our tech bcs on ebay. I would go for it now and chalk it up as lesson learned.

I don't have the formula in front of me buy I think it goes like this, someone correct me if I am wrong...

By doubling surface exposure (add on pockets, big wings, cumberbunds, shoulder pads, lights, etc), you quadruple the force needed to push it through the water, and it takes 16 times the energy to do this pushing.

You get the idea that streamlining is more than something nice to watch. This is where the bp/wings really shine.

Tommy

My friend at the local dive shop had called to offer a "New Diver" special which included the following:

Seaquest Pro QD Weight-Integrated BCD

AquaLung Titan Regulator

SeaQuest Favor Computer Console with Compass

SeaQuest Low Profile Octopus

Custom Color Installed Hose Wraps

Three Hose Protectors

Includes our Bronze Service Plan

10 Free Air Fills - One Day Boat Pass

Free Assembly & Test Dive In Our Pool

10% Off a PADI specialty course

All this for $1,375; but I am not sure about the BC. Any thoughts?

:doctor:

You are right. That wasn't included; I would need to buy it separately.
Your choice of tank could effect your choice of BC...
You might want to decide what tanks you will be using....
Aluminum (more weight needed)
or
Steel (less weight needed)

You might want to decide what valves you will be using....
DIN (200bar or 300bar) or Yoke
as that will effect what regulator you purchase.

The most common recreational setup is to get the AL80 with a yoke valve. This will require more weight to offset the buoyancy of the tank when effectively empty. However AL80s are the cheapest and so are yoke valves.

You might want to consider a non-weight intergrated BC and use a weight belt. This might allow you funds left over towards the purchase of a tank.

My friend at the local dive shop had called to offer a "New Diver" special which included the following:

Seaquest Pro QD Weight-Integrated BCD

AquaLung Titan Regulator

SeaQuest Favor Computer Console with Compass

SeaQuest Low Profile Octopus

Custom Color Installed Hose Wraps

Three Hose Protectors

Includes our Bronze Service Plan

10 Free Air Fills - One Day Boat Pass

Free Assembly & Test Dive In Our Pool

10% Off a PADI specialty course

All this for $1,375; but I am not sure about the BC. Any thoughts?

:doctor:

I assume that this package includes mask, snorkel, fins?

Boba,

To see what kind of price you're getting, go to the Leisurepro website and tally up their prices for that equipment. They probably have most of the items, and if they don't, look for comparable items. Keep in mind that Leisurepro doesn't provide manufactuers warrantees on most items, plus you can't try things out like with a LDS, so factor that into your price comparison.

hhhhhmmm....Hey Texas Mike! Read your comments on the Advantage and supporting two tanks without regidity. I have to disagree with you.

The Advantage Seaira system is designed on a backpack principal. It can definitely hold two tanks. I have been looking into this for the Advantage. They have a kit that replaces the single strap with a double strap with a plastic cradle to make attaching them easier.

(My wife and I backpack a lot..so the adjustments are completely familiar to us...but I can see how some people will think it is too much trouble.)

Good news about the Advantage. It is comfortable and can be adjusted to fit you like a glove.

The bad news that it takes some adjusting to get a good fit...and I'm not a big fan of the weight pockets not having support...put that is not a driving issue with me when picking a BC.

As far as the Nitrox issue...might be a good idea to check any BC before you buy it to make sure it is a Nitrox ready. IDI or anyone elses for that matter. Not seeing any company really doing a good job of advertising whether it is Nitrox or not without a bit of research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom