IDI Advantage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike,
The OMS BPs are good, I was referring to the OMS harnesses being bad with all of the buckles and rings. sorry if I wasn't clear :eek:ut:

Boba,

The other "beauties" of the BP/Wing system are
  • The rigidity of the backplate makes the system very comfortable to wear and easier to manage the additional weight of the other bits of equipment. If you've ever been backpacking, think of the rigid frame of your backpack. This is accomplished by "spreading" the weight of the system across a larger area.
  • It is much simpler to upgrade components as your diving career progresses. It's also easier to add things in to your rig that are needed to improve the dive, or have with you on the dive.
  • It promotes the Less Is More ideal. One thing that new divers don't know is that the more stuff you pack onto your body, the more effort it takes to move all that mass through the water. All the extra d-rings, clips, pockets, etc. on the so called "tek" rigs might look cool in the dive shop, but all they really do is drive up the cost. With the BP/Wing concept, you can start with the minimum. And if you're style of diving requires more, that's an easy and inexpensive thing to add.
So, how are you doing with absorbing all of this?

Originally posted by jetblast00
TexasMike,
The OMS BPs are good, I was referring to the OMS harnesses being bad with all of the buckles and rings. sorry if I wasn't clear :eek:ut:
No problemo......and to make sure of 100% clarity, are you referring to the IQ harness system?

This is not a very simple decision. So, what if I ask everyone for a list of five bc's to go and try on? I think I will remove the Advantage from my list because of weight management issues.:confused: :confused:

The problem with suggesting five BC's is that if you desire to go with the Backplate and Wings concept, there are not that many shops that offer them. Why? For various reasons, one of which is that they hope you will buy the "lower" end of the spectrum, and then return to them later to purchase the next step up when you exceed that one, and repeat ad nauseum.

If you want to see, touch, feel, try on backplate/wings concept, try to find dive shops that carry one or more of the following brands: OMS, Dive-Rite, and Halcyon. Now, there won't be any specific models within these brands due to their modularity. But being able to look at them might help wrap your mind around what we're talking about.

Does that help some?

TexasMike,
While the IQ is just as bad, I was refering to the "deluxe harness" If you look at a picure of it on OMS site, I'll explain my feelings:
http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html
the center of the shoulder straps have metal rings with the 6 ends of webbing sewed around them -> 6 failure points.
The 4 ends of webbing being sewed to the 2 plastic buckles and the 2 plastic buckles themselves -> 6 more failure points.
the sewing and buckle on the crotch strap -> 3 more...
that's 15 failure points because of the rings and buckles...

bobafett21,
because you stated that you would like to eventually get into wreck diving, I would suggest BP/wing systems over all others, you may find that a back inflate BC's are good for you too though... so, remembering that tryin it on in the store is very different than wearing it in the water, IMO, I would say to try these:
-BP/Wing
-Zeagle ranger
-Dive-rite traspac II (also modular)

JetBlast.....I respectfully disagree with you. Unfortunately, I'm out of time to contribute to the board for the morning. (gotta get to work).

So what I'll do later is start a new thread and we can do a little debate there.

Originally posted by TexasMike
JetBlast.....I respectfully disagree with you. Unfortunately, I'm out of time to contribute to the board for the morning. (gotta get to work).

So what I'll do later is start a new thread and we can do a little debate there.

I've got no problem agreeing to disagree :D
Looking forward to discussing this later :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom