Identity Of "Stuff" In The Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this a kind of vague question, but still, I have to ask.

I did a Gulf of Mexico dive in S. FL yesterday and noticed a a sort of white to sort-of-opaque substance in the water. It looked stringy and was aligned vertically in the water. I came across it just off the beach in 84 F water. On the way home, me and my dive buddies couldn't help but laugh that we were probably diving in some kind of sperm. If we happen to dive in it again, It would be nice to know what I was diving in... then again... perhaps not.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Did it have a compartmentalized "cellular" structure? Was it adrift or did it seem to have some intended path?

From your initial description, it does sound like amorous Whales might be nearby.

It is called snot by divers. Not really sure what it really is.

Gross, I try not to think that I'm diving in fish waste or reproductive fluid. Maybe if you look through a local marine wildlife book, you'll find the culprit.

The best and simplest way to find out is probably through asking employees at your local dive shop. Even if they don't know, I'm sure one of them knows a marine enthusiast who does.

I think it's just that time of year when the birds and bees start to go a little crazy....

Up here in Alaska everything from Sea Stars and cucumbers to Jellies and herring are spawning. I'd be curious to know what was on the reef in your general area. But without a microscope, there's no telling specifically what it was.

IMG_4995.jpg

If someone at the your local shop or charter doesn't know, you might try the folks at the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary floridakeys.noaa.gov/ . They should have staff marine biologists that might be able to provide some insight into what it was. I've found folks at marine sanctuaries to be eager to try to answer questions such as this one, and they might even appreciate the report of something that could turn out to be unusual or off the beaten path.

Called a LDS and he said it's called Whale Snot aka Sea Snot. Here's a link with some great info on it:

Deep Type Flow: 2 of the 10 worst jobs in science

Man, that guy has a scatology deal, if not a whole borderline coprphilia thing going on: Deep Type Flow: If you have to go, go big! I like the way he thinks!

The main lesson here is - if you can't supply pictures, then describe the object in terms of size, shape, region, depth, temperature, time of day, and be very specific as to it's movement or structure. Color is quite often the least helpful identifier, but if you can look at it with a flashlight, that helps.

Plankton poop. New one on me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom