Identification assistance please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SRQ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
62E54120-4F43-4918-AC17-91C28F71C0BA.jpeg
found these aluminum tanks for sale. The red one seems a bit larger, and has an unusual valve. Anyone able to identify it? Thanks

First of all, it is a "J" valve if that is what you are asking.
Also looks like it might be an old US Divers version, but can't see the front to know for sure.

Keeping old J valves in service can be a real challenge. I strongly suggest replacing that one.

@SRQ Bill need to have the information on the crows to be able to tell you anything. One on the right is Luxfer and has a J-valve which means it is likely old enough to have the old alloy in it. I would not buy them if they were born prior to 1990

@SRQ Bill need to have the information on the crows to be able to tell you anything. One on the right is Luxfer and has a J-valve which means it is likely old enough to have the old alloy in it. I would not buy them if they were born prior to 1990
Actually, I can just make out 7/89 on the red cylinder on the right, and I think I can just make out the name LUXFER. If so, that alloy is not the problematic 6351.
They were finished with the transition in 1988. Dates when Luxfer changed its aluminum alloy from 6351 to 6061

I can't see info on the other tanks, based on first impressions. the white one concerns me more. I believe any old cylinder stamped USD, US Divers, or Dacor were actually Luxfer. If you have one of those and want to check, pull the tank boot off and look for LUXFER stamped along the bottom edge.

So got a guess as to the size of the red one? Value?

Do you have access to the cylinders to add photos of the stamps along the shoulder of the tanks?
Do you remember if the red one has a larger diameter than the others, or is it just taller? (I can't tell from the photo with certainty, but I think I can make an "S80" marking)
If wider, it is probably a 100cf. If just taller, then it is probably 80cf (S80) and the difference may just be in the plastic boot on the bottom. Some sit the tank a few inches higher than others do.

The "best" valve in the lot is the Sherwood in the center. (most recent)

A new aluminum 80 is probably in the neighborhood of $200, +/- $20, with a new valve.

Value of a used tank is very dependent on when it is next due for a 5 year hydrostatic test. If it has been stored in a garage for a while, you will have to cough up the cost of a hydro, a visual inspection, perhaps a new valve or a a valve service. Those prices can have a fairly wide variance depending on where you are, and the availability of hydro testing facilities. Ask your local LDS about those costs, and then make an informed decision. And be aware that a new valve for an old tank usually costs noticeably more than a new valve with a new tank. My distributor only knocks $10 off if I order a cylinder without a valve.

All three are $75. I have not seen them in person. I was trying to see if it was worth the drive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom