ID on dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just keep an eye on my stuff and don't walk away from it where people can get sticky fingers. The few items I do have marked were done with a sharpie or paint pen tha twe use at work to mark sheets of material (metals).

Drop stage bottles, O2 bottles, and scooters in Ginnie on a busy day and you want your name on it! Last weekend I dropped the scooter in the water and three others identical to it were already sitting there.

Sharpie (black or silver) on most things (regs, wings, fins, hoods), custom name stickers on tanks and scooters, engrave trinkets and doodads with initials.

I just keep an eye on my stuff and don't walk away from it where people can get sticky fingers. The few items I do have marked were done with a sharpie or paint pen tha twe use at work to mark sheets of material (metals).

As the sign at the airport says... "many bags look alike."

While I'm always vigilant with my gear, I'm rarely worried about stickie fingers. But even in places where "walking away" from your gear is impossible (ie, on a boat) it's still way too easy for your XL jet fins to be confused with my XL jet fins, or that guy's XL jet fins, or that guy's, or that guy's...

Plus, I've found way too much gear in the sand at 130fsw, 15mi off the coast, to regard "I just keep an eye on my stuff" as an effective strategy. Though I suppose if you do most of your diving at a quarry that might work. :D

When we went to CCR we used paint pens to put our name on EVERYTHING. It saved us from grabbing the wrong gear.

Paint pen or sharpie on most. Bought some stainless steel dog tags with name,address, phone and DAN member number on it. It's attached to my BCD just in case. If I can't talk...I want my chamber ride!!

Good luck,
Jay

upload_2018-8-24_14-25-18.png

All previously listed are great ways to identify your stuff. As you see no one way suits all needs. Personalized pet tags for my pelican boxes, decals, trident paint, Sharpie’s, in addition I also use color coding ( all my gear is red and black). I have everyone of my BP harnesses embroidered with my nick name for n red on the R shoulder, I use red and black “spider” paracord to replace zipper pulls, tied to fin straps, as a handle wrap on my dive lights etc.

I bought a pen off of Amazon just last night...Bright Pen...in Yellow for my fins...$4.74.....

Back
Top Bottom