Icediving TEC or REC?

How do you rate Icediving?

• Technical

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Recreational

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Advanced Technical

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • The division between Rec & Tec is artificial and useless.

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...

You mean you can't just pick the parts of the system you like and adopt those???

:D

I say we band together to make him change his name. I don't care if someone solo dives but I wonder what his good personal freind Trey thinks of this.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I say we band together to make him change his name. I don't care if someone solo dives but I wonder what his good personal freind Trey thinks of this.
I don't think the use of multiple Gavins negate the "un-DIRishness" of a solo ice dive. Maybe one of the mods can rename him to DIW TEC Diver..

O-ring once bubbled...

I don't think the use of multiple Gavins negate the "un-DIRishness" of a solo ice dive. Maybe one of the mods can rename him to DIW TEC Diver..

OTOH, maybe dropping 7K on two Gavins allows you to use whatever name you want.

Do you get an honorary DIRF certificate? :devil:

Hehehehe...

DIR Tek Diver? He really is one big contradiction. Name change? Yup, I'm down with that.

reefraff once bubbled...
There seems to be an almost automatic "but I'm not a technical diver" flavor to many of the responses and I don't understand why.

I think you kind of hit on it, a lot of divers doing technical diving in every sense of the word, from overhead environment, specialized techiques, and equipment are reluctant to call themselves tech divers. Not because they aren't tech divers or are not qualified to be doing what they are doing, but because they will be told they aren't, told they are a stroke, or told they are just a wanna be if they don't adhere to the right philosophy by those who have taken the right techical courses.

I plan on learning how to Icedive this winter. Im really excited. Our water doesnt have the best viz so it should be better under the ice. I sure wouldn't go without a buddy. I also wouldn't go without a line.

Pete

One should not be overly concerned about whether one is a "technical" diver or a "recreational" diver! Unless you are being paid to do what you do, you are, by the most basic of definitions, a "recreational" diver.

The term "technical" diver originally started out as a way to differentiate those of us who want to penetrate caves, the hulls of sunken ships, or soak ourselves in nitrogen and helium and hang on the end of a line until we are bored silly, from those of us who merely want to extend our snorkeling time to a nice shallow glide along the reef (or ledge, etc).

The term has grown in its usage, and been (as we all love to do) modified a lot over the years. Yet, within the gathering gloom, there does seem to be a consensus that "recreational technical" diving is the correct term when one is participating in diving in which one is prevented from returning "directly" to the surface by some sort of ceiling, be it rock, ice, metal, or the "glass" ceiling created by required decompression obligations.

So what do we call our northern brethren who, by choice and/or necessity, dive in near freezing water under a load of already frozen water? Well, some would call them desperate to find a place to dive. From my personal standpoint, since I believe that water freezes below about 69 degrees, I would call them genial nutcases who think they are related to polar bears, BUT they do have my respect!

From the standpoint of being an Instructor Trainer with a "technical" agency, I would have to vote for the side that advocates never doing it without the tether or guideline, AND a redundant air source (meaning not just the buddy near by, and more than the little Spare Air unit). As Mr. Natural always said: "Get the right tool for the job, kids!"

But, hey, have at it and have FUN!=-)

Im on the local dive team so I suppose It would be cosidered
Technical for me

ScubaPete once bubbled...
I'm on the local dive team, so I suppose it would be considered "technical" for me.

I congratulate you for your spirit of volunteerism, and your willingness to do something for your community.

I think I was misunderstood, however, because, at any moment in which you are under the water and not being paid for it, by the strictest definitions you are engaging in "recreational" diving.

Since I am an Instructor Trainer for IANTD in Public Safety Diving (one, it seems, of my many hats), I will point out that dive team members acting in a "public safety" role (i.e. not in a training mode) fall into a "neither fish nor fowl" category at the moment.

This does not alter the meaning of my previous comments about the nature of ice diving, nor my belief that those who do so are genial madmen (and women)!:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom