Icediving TEC or REC?

How do you rate Icediving?

• Technical

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Recreational

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Advanced Technical

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • The division between Rec & Tec is artificial and useless.

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

You don't have someone on the end of you spool to pull you out, as you do when ice diving.

Hmmmmm. Maybe that was too easy :)

Are you suggesting that dives with surface support are not technical?

R..

How 'bout we define technical and see where that leads us...or will everyone have their own definition?

Yup - When ice diving.

But surface support can mean many things. If I am a surface support diver, supporting someone during a long deco stop that to me is considered a tec dive. During an ice dive, I am providing surface support by tending the tether, it's just part of a rec dive.

During a recreational dive you have direct access to the surface.

You could argue that all diving is technical - you need special training before relying on SCUBA.

I think it depends were you are from!
If you live in the Keys or tropic's all you life and never dove in water colder than 70' it would be a tec dive :wacko:
But.. If you live up here in the great white north it must be rec. or we'd never get to dive :D
Water temp very seldom get's above 50' at depth and that's only in August, in May and June 40' is a good day :eek:

I'm in total agreement with divedude, depends on where you are from. Up here in MI, winter lasts 6 months or so:D . Ok, not really, but it feels like that. Ice diving up here is the only way to dive now. I would consider it recreational. I think Bob brought up a good point as well. Although I always have a redundant air supply on any dive. But that's another subject altogether.

Using the PADI class for an example because I'm an instructor...You are limited to a penetration of 130 ft. While a redundant gas supply is recommended it isn't required. You are tethered to the surface and have direct access to the hole (not the surface). Alot like recreational wreck penetration (if there is such a thing) or cavern diving. It isn't easy to define technical but an ice dive is alot different than a reef dive yet there is a world of difference between a "recreational" ice dive and cave or wreck dive with much longer penetrations that sometimes require staged decompression and multiple gasses. On a recreational Ice dive you give three tugs on the line and you get pulled out. If you fail to return signals you get pulled out. If you get off the tether a team of safety divers is ready to come and look for you. You don't have to learn to run or manage a reel like in cave or wreck diving. You don't have to learn to navigate like you do in cave or wreck diving. Ice diving has it's challanges but there is not comparisson with caveor wreck penetration.

Well put Mike.
Other safety issue would be the fact that supervision is 2 students to instructor, making safer than open water classes.

A lot of people are indicating that it should be technical diving, for some valid reasons. I am curious why there are no technical courses being offered.

Side note. Took a 65 year young gentleman icediving this weekend. So much for being technical.

T:wacko:

I've read through this one with some interest and I've have had this discussion several times with others. In general, I would have to agree with Pez's position on this one!

Having been on the both ends of the safety line with Pez, I'd have to agree that unless you're doing something way outside the norms of a regular ice dive, you're not really restricted from the surface. Most formal ice diving training is simply an extension of AOW and builds skills for emergency situations such as a lost line, reg free flow and hypothermia. How are these additional recreational skills any different that those developed through other specialty courses?

The best definition of tech diving I've heard is "A dive where a direct ascent to the surface is not possible due to a hard or soft overhead environment". BTW, a deco obligation is considered a soft overhead environment.

If you follow the above definition (and note that it says nothing about equipment making the dive tech or rec!!) then an ice dive is a technical dive.

So are there rules about novice" technical divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom