ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input ! I will probably be renting and EOS rig from my dive shop, no sense in pushing my luck. What are your thoughts on an mk17 as a first stage ?

The mk17 has an environmentally sealed diaphragm and is held out to be a cold water regulator. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Scubapro (I prefer Apeks), but this is a personal choice. :)

The mk17 has an environmentally sealed diaphragm and is held out to be a cold water regulator. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Scubapro (I prefer Apeks), but this is a personal choice. :)

Or the Sherwoods

How about Atomic Aquatics M1? Anyone ever use it under Ice?

I'm sure there are a number of regulators that will do the job. For me, a large part of diving in a dangerous environment is about the confidence I have in my equipment. It doesn't matter what the brand name is, as long as you have confidence in it. If you've used a particular brand/model in extreme conditions over and over again and haven't had a problem. It's understandable that confidence builds and you would recommend it to others.

That's spot on DCBC. I've used a Scubapro MK5 for all my diving since 1968. Ice Diving and year around diving here in NE included. Not once have I had freezing issue with it however there are a lot of posts warning others of the dangers of diving with a piston reg in the cold. Heck, I just bought another MK5 from Ebay to use on my pony and/or my ID's. Confidence in your gear is second only to confidence in your own abilities.

your regulator, is it a MK5 first step with a MK 10 Polar sec. step?

No it's a MK5 with every upgrade SP made including the environmental package. However the envro pac came long after I'd been using it for ice / cold weather diving.
The one I just got doesn't have the envro pac so I'll report if it ever freezes up on me.
It won't be this season, I can't dive for a while, med reason.

No it's a MK5 with every upgrade SP made including the environmental package. However the envro pac came long after I'd been using it for ice / cold weather diving.
The one I just got doesn't have the envro pac so I'll report if it ever freezes up on me.
It won't be this season, I can't dive for a while, med reason.

Why let a medical reason stop you from diving. Just lie on the medical questionare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom