ice diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peacock62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am taking an ice diving specialty this week.
I have an mk25 and a700 as my primaries. I have a Sherwood sr1 for my pony. I have had both rigs in 40 degree with no problem. Scuba pro says it a extremely cold water rig. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm skeptical. I don't like the idea of using a piston design regulator in extremely cold water. Pistons let water into the body of the 1st stage for balancing ambient pressure and having near freezing water inside a pressure reducer (which gets colder as it's actuated) just seems like asking for trouble.

I know lots of people like the scubapro but I personally would not consider using it for this application.

R..

I have been in touch nac in Syracuse. The owner has told me its all about how you acclamate the reg and not breathing at the surface. My instructors have agreed to give it a shot but are bring a sealed reg as a backup

I am taking an ice diving specialty this week.
I have an mk25 and a700 as my primaries. I have a Sherwood sr1 for my pony. I have had both rigs in 40 degree with no problem. Scuba pro says it a extremely cold water rig. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I seen a few mk25 free flow in cold water. You really should use a enviromentally sealed regulator. It isnt sealed. I been diving a Sherwood Blizzard for years under the ice and never had a free flow yet. Between the dry bleed system and the heat sink fins, it does pretty well. It really really sucks to free flow under the ice when you are at the end of your teether line.

I have been in touch nac in Syracuse. The owner has told me its all about how you acclamate the reg and not breathing at the surface. My instructors have agreed to give it a shot but are bring a sealed reg as a backup

LOL

The owner told you it's ok....

And what is the owner's interest? he wants to sell you the ice course.....

Of COURSE he's going to tell you it's ok. That's good for HIM.

But it's not ok. That type of reg will easily freeze in cold water.... why do you think your instructor is bringing a cold water regulator as back up.....

WAAAAAKE UUUUUUP!

R..

I have successfully taught several ice classes with mk20 and mk25 regs. It is recommended by scubapro to dial the IP down to about 135 psi in ice conditions.

I have successfully taught several ice classes with mk20 and mk25 regs. It is recommended by scubapro to dial the IP down to about 135 psi in ice conditions.

Lowering the IP will help. I keep my Sherwood at 125psi and dont over breath it.

But for someone learning to dive in an overhead enviroment, is going to have a higher WOB. I had a buddy that overbreathed his regulator and thought it wasnt giving him enough air and signaled OOA thinking something was wrong with it.

It sounds easy, but having to experiance a free flow with 100 feet of line payed out under the ice, going to a 19cuft pony as a bailout and having to swim back 100' to the hole is stressful. Overbreath the pony it could free flow also.

Why not try to take the correct equipment. Even if he needs to rent a regulator for the class. I just dont buy the "I did it and got away with it, so can you" line of thinking.

Just my 2 cents

I with Diver0001 on this one. Using a SP piston regulator in ice is asking for trouble. Detuning your regulator's IP isn't the answer either. I'd recommend that you use the right gear for the job.

what were the conditions ? Did you acclimate them to the water prior to getting in ?

Thanks for the input ! I will probably be renting and EOS rig from my dive shop, no sense in pushing my luck. What are your thoughts on an mk17 as a first stage ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom