Ice Diving Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hamsiss:
And what about the Atomic Aquatics (also which model, both their 1st and 2nd are very similar)?
You would definitely want the sealed version. Any of their models can be sealed and they should all perform the same in cold water, I just don't know how well that is.

Anyone know anything about atomic regs for ice or cold water diving?

~Jess

Over several trips to the arctic we used Sherwood Magnum Blizzard, Poseidon Cyclon 300, Oceanic Omega II and Mares: MR-12 Navy, Abyss and Ruby. All but the Sherwood had environmental kits (it does not need on) on them; and all worked just fine in was that was typically -1 degree C water. We often came out of the water with a grapefruit sized ball of ice around our first stages but had no significant incidents. I'm wary of piston regulators in this sort of application and the only piston we used was the Oceanic, but it had no problems. At this point I'm avoiding ballanced second stage regulators until the dust settles concerning IP creep and possible intermediate hose failure. Atomic and ScubaPro both make excellent gear, but I think that their marketing scheme makes them overpriced.

namabiru,
37degrees F is the coldest water in Turkey and just like your thread (versatile reg) I'm trying to find the best :)

Agree with Jess, asking the same question also

Dive Right In Scuba:
I second the Sherwood Blizzard!! This has been my favorite by far in a long line of regulators....slimline, durable, easy to work on, and moisture pak(love this) The moisture pak prevents you from ending a dive and having a dry mouth.....EVERY reg should have this......

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=86_90&products_id=432

I have a special this month....buy a reg take half off any octo or octo inflator......

I'll third the Blizzard as an excellent ice reg. Just a point, it doesn't have moisture paks, it as retention fins that retain heat and also moisture that prevents both freeze up and dry mouth. The Sherwood Oasis is the same reg only the fins are sold as moisture retention only, different names and stickers for different markets.

Hi all,
I thought I would cut and paste this report from from a diver in real world application. This regulator is also on the Navy ANU list (no small feat). The Proton Ice Extreme has a coating (technofluoropolymer) on the second stage and important internal 2nd stage areas. This coating virtually eliminates the possibility of ice collecting on the 2nd stage. The environmentally sealed 1st stage, and all metal construction of the 2nd stage, results in a phenomenal regulator for extreme cold conditions.

Good luck with your shopping!

2006-04-21

Freedive Record in Torneträsk

Hello! During the freedive record attempt in Torneträsk and Jukkasjärvi last week I tested the new Mares Proton Extreme regulator. (The dive was done with 300 BAR tank pressure).I did 3 dives with a total dive time of 60 minutes and about 15 minutes surface interval in between. In the water, under the ice, both my computers showed 0°C (I know from earlier that these normally show 2°C warmer than for example Citizen diving watches).During the dive I provoked the regulator to freeflow with for example shaking it with my hand. I even attempted while sitting on the ice to do everything wrongsuch as breathing with the regulator above water and pressing the purge button etc, nothinggot it to freeflow!At the same time we did similar tests on last year’s model Proton Ice with CWD kit fitted, but we couldn’t get that to freeze either.As a last test after 60 minutes and 3 dives, my reg’got to stand with air pressure on for about 20 minutes. Both the first and second stage was by that time completely coated in ice but still working perfectly.It was so cold in the water under the ice that my hood froze to the ice after about 30 seconds. When I came up from the whole in the ice, the first stage was covered with a film of ice 5mm thick, it even almost completely covered the CWD kit.

I go for one of these two:

Oceanic FDX10 + delta 4. Environmentally sealed.

Aqualung Legends, Environmentally sealed + heat exchange.

Sherwood blizzard is popular up here personaly I prefer the Sherwood Maximus Have also had good luck with the Zeagle products . One of the biggest problems with Divers and freeflows while Ice diving is most divers put the reg in there mouth before submerging and begin to breath:no Trick is to keep the reg in your hand submerge put into your mouth and then sharp exhale and begin to breath normaly also if for some reason you need to surface remove the reg from your mouth and keep it in the water.

I have a pic of my Maximus first stage with over 1/2 inch of clear ice on it after a dive last Jan and it worked perfectly (sorry not sure how to upload it ) never had a freeflow with it in approx 70 ice dives.

I have had good luck with Zeagles, Blizzards, Proton Ice. I also have used Aqualung Artics, but have had them freeflow in 38 F water when filling lift bags, although I have good luck withConshelfs Supremes not freezing when doing the same thing. I attribute that to the brass second stage.

Back
Top Bottom