Ice Diving in Iowa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Where's the beef?" :D

I just realized that there hasn't been a trip report posted for last weekend. Last weekend, richerso (yours truly), TxIceDiver, and one other diver travelled to the great icy north. Okay, it wasn't really that far north, it was just Iowa. But it was a really long drive. I will post a report later today.

Maybe it was the imaginary trip to report on.

:rofl3:

LOL! Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Feel the love in the room! LOL!
Wow! This is kind of entertaining in itself. This thread has legs . . . . . . and I haven't even posted anything yet! Ha!

I was kind of hoping Randy would chime in at some point but I know he's been busy too. He has the really interesting (read this underwater) photos. All of my stuff is just top side photos. I don't have a camera housing and so far no one has volunteered to give one to me.

Wow! This is kind of entertaining in itself. This thread has legs . . . . . . and I haven't even posted anything yet! Ha!

I was kind of hoping Randy would chime in at some point but I know he's been busy too. He has the really interesting (read this underwater) photos. All of my stuff is just top side photos. I don't have a camera housing and so far no one has volunteered to give one to me.

I would give you a housing if you would JUST POST A TRIP REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl3:

(just kidding about the housing)

Don't let them pressure you into posting a hasty report. I waited 6 weeks to post my New Year's report ....

That said - WE'RE STILL WAITING !!! :popcorn:

:popcorn: the pressure is mounting, must be at least 2600 psi now.....

So here we go. Maurice, Randy and I loaded up into the Randy-van and started driving towards Iowa. It was about a 14 hour trek up that way. Along the way, as we were driving through northern Oklahoma (I-35 north of OKC) we encountered some snow and ice on the road. Since Oklahoma only has 3 snow plows to clear the entire state, the road was in, shall we say, snowy condition.

Once we got into Kansas, we drove the Kansas turnpike and trekked our way on into Nebraska. Got to drive through Nebraska City, NE. Now there's a piece of Midwest Americana. Classic small midwest farming community out in the middile of nowhere. Wow!

Spent a short amount of time in Nebraska before turning to the east for a few miles and we emerged into the far SW corner of Iowa. Upon entering Iowa, I tried to talk the guys into making a detour:

They didn't go for it for some reason.

We travelled on along to Arnold's Park Iowa. Arnold's Park is the proud home of an amusement park. Between the amusement park and the Lake Okoboji is the dive shop, Blue Water Divers.

And here are a couple of shots of Lake Okoboji. Of course the lake is frozen this time of year.

Spent a short amount of time in Nebraska before turning to the east for a few miles and we emerged into the far SW corner of Iowa. Upon entering Iowa, I tried to talk the guys into making a detour:

Gotta love it!!!!! :rofl3:

Then there was this little stunt Randy pulled by driving his van out onto the ice :11:

Some times you just can't reason with people dumb enough to go diving under the ice :shakehead:

The weekend we were there, there was a big snow mobile drag racing competition in progress about 600 yards away from our dive site. That was kind of entertaining. Have you ever heard a snow mobile "dragster" running 60 mph across the ice?

And finally, here is where we went diving. Inside this little "ice hut" is a hole in the floor with a hole cut through the ice.

Y'all are gonna have to wait for Randy to post some info about the dives themselves. I just don't have any underwater photos. Once again, it's that pesky lack-of-an-underwater-housing thing gettin' in the way.

Here is a pic of our gracious northern hosts, Pat and Dave of Blue Water Divers.

There are a few other hearty divers at the shop on this day besides yours truly, Randy and Maurice.

Remember when Randy was driving his van out on the ice? Well, we were behaving like a bunch of teenagers who had borrowed dad's car. Randy started turning donuts on the ice ! ! ! Ha! Here's one picture:

Back
Top Bottom