Ice Diving in Iowa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upon entering Iowa, I tried to talk the guys into making a detour:

Some people just don't appreciate the Arts. :shakehead:

Man, you guys missed one of the best I trips I have ever done.

JR pretty much summed up the trip. And yes I did so some stunt driving and took my van, 'The Ice Diver Express', out on the lake and where doing donuts. I hadn't done that since I was in college.

And the snomobile drag races were more like 85mph instead of 60mph, those sleds can fly.

One other detail, we pulled out of town on the way back in the beginnings of a snow storm and got out just in time. It snowed 5" in 2hrs and they had to delay school openings. (It has to dump a butt load of snow before they actually close school). And by the time reached Kansas it was in the mid 70's. Go Figure.

The air temp was in the 20's, the water temp was 37F, We warmed the hut up to about 50F. (it got warm enough that we shutoff the heater). Visibility was great, 25ft+.

I did 2 - 20+ minutes each day loging and about 100 minutes under the ice.

here are some pics from the trip.

ScubaBoard Gallery - Ice-Dive-08 - Powered by PhotoPost

Randy Cook
Ice Diver

Randy.... thanks for the report and snap shots.....love the one of John u/w looking at the camera pretty close--lol. What great weather compared to last year...what a difference a 'year' can make! Did you get any video? Glad you guys had a super trip!

Yup we had a good time. The weather is always a factor, that's what makes this such an adventure.

I got a bunch of video as well. But it will be a while before that is ready. I am pretty much getting slammed at work for the next couple of weeks. One of my co-workers is out on paternity leave and I got tagged as his backup. So I am doing about triple time till he gets back.

RC

Yup we had a good time. The weather is always a factor, that's what makes this such an adventure.

I got a bunch of video as well. But it will be a while before that is ready. I am pretty much getting slammed at work for the next couple of weeks. One of my co-workers is out on paternity leave and I got tagged as his backup. So I am doing about triple time till he gets back.

RC

Well I always enjoy the ice diving reports....good luck with the work load....see you at a local pond soon. :wink:

One of my co-workers is out on paternity leave and I got tagged as his backup. So I am doing about triple time till he gets back.

RC

Him on paternity leave :confused: Science just ain't what it used to be. I'm having trouble with the math as well. Glad y'all had a good time.

Thanks for the report and the pictures John & Randy. Well worth the wait.

Willie

John... to borrow a saying from you ....

" I don't know how you do it ! " :wink:

Back
Top Bottom