Ice/Cold Water Regulator Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's a good octo for the Apeks ds4/xtx50 setup? I would think the xtx50 octo? Also I called the LDS to feel them out on what they recommended and the first thing they mentioned was the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. How would that compare with the ds4/xtx50 setup?

@Decompression: Is the atx50 the older version of the xtx50? I'm not finding atx50 on the website, but they talk about it in the technical info.

What's a good octo for the Apeks ds4/xtx50 setup? I would think the xtx50 octo? Also I called the LDS to feel them out on what they recommended and the first thing they mentioned was the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. How would that compare with the ds4/xtx50 setup?

@Decompression: Is the atx50 the older version of the xtx50? I'm not finding atx50 on the website, but they talk about it in the technical info.

Im a bit techie in that I like to have the same second stages for all regs, so I like the xtx50 for both. yes the ATX 50 is an older reg. there is a thread we discussed the legend vs Titan recently, generally, you may find a peticular feature to choose one over the other. But overall, the Titan delivers great performance at a more economical price. I chose Apeks over the legends because at that time the apeks compared better than the legends. Regionally, there are "go to regs", in cold Canadian waters, the tech community majority used apeks.

Im a bit techie in that I like to have the same second stages for all regs, so I like the xtx50 for both. yes the ATX 50 is an older reg. there is a thread we discussed the legend vs Titan recently, generally, you may find a peticular feature to choose one over the other. But overall, the Titan delivers great performance at a more economical price. I chose Apeks over the legends because at that time the apeks compared better than the legends. Regionally, there are "go to regs", in cold Canadian waters, the tech community majority used apeks.

Ok, thanks for the info.

My regs are Apeks DS4 / ATX 40. Son uses Hog with the cold water kit.

We have been to ~ 120' and 38F with absolutely no issues. Either would be a good choice IMO. Hog is better bang for your buck. Apeks are more widely serviced.

I am using the Tek 3's with xtx50's repeatedly in water under 40 F to depths well beyond 100' and have absolutely nothing but good results.

What's the difference between the DS4 and DST first stages? Is it just the swivel turret? What exactly swivels?

What's the difference between the DS4 and DST first stages? Is it just the swivel turret? What exactly swivels?

The DS4 is a fix configuration with four low pressure ports and one high pressure port. The DST has two high pressure ports and then a turret with four (or five) low pressure ports.

images
images

The DS4 is a fix configuration with four low pressure ports and one high pressure port. The DST has two high pressure ports and then a turret with four (or five) low pressure ports.

images
images

Ahhh, I see. How does that swivel hold up over time?

Ahhh, I see. How does that swivel hold up over time?

There are many regulators with a turret that have been in service for decades. The only time I have heard of failures on the turret is when the servicing technician improperly torques the retaining bolt.

Back
Top Bottom