Ice/Cold Water Regulator Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any data on how mich it is overbalanced per an atm?

I found this article that has a chart showing the increased IP for various depths. The picrue looks like an Apeks DST, but the article doesn't reference any particular regulator. The description in the paragraph right before the chart does describe the over-balanced configuration used on the Apeks regs.

deep diving regulators

I like the Poseidon for the deep cold enviornments, you can not over breath them which is great.

I found this article that has a chart showing the increased IP for various depths. The picrue looks like an Apeks DST, but the article doesn't reference any particular regulator. The description in the paragraph right before the chart does describe the over-balanced configuration used on the Apeks regs.

deep diving regulators

Thanks I know about that article I was hoping to get the data for the Hog reg.

Right now Im using 2 sets of apex xtx50/ds4 regs......they get used under the ice in sub-freezing temps to about 100ft and in non ice waters to 150ft

the IP is dialed back a bit, havent had an issue with free-flowing at all

overbalanced is not a issue with a balanced second stage. I see the article where you are getting the idea but he neglected to state the issue is with unbalanced second stages.

I think the main problem is the 212 2nd stage. It is a 95%, if not 100% plastic construction. Honestly, it is one of the lower quality 2nd stages I have used. If you want a quick and low cost way out, just replace the 212 by a HOG 2nd stage. It has full metal barrel, metal heat sink and metal adjustment knob. It should at least mitigate some of your cold water issues. The quality of construction is also a level above Hollis. Having that said, it is best if you have a LDS that can support HOG

Another vote for the Mk 17 G250V. It's extremely reliable in cold water without the over balancing issue of the Apeks.

MK17/G250V , Apeks DS4, DST/ XtX50, Zeagle , what does yor LDS service?

The closest places are Underwater Connection and they carry Aqualung products and they said they can order Apeks which is owned by Aqualung. So I would assume they can service them.

The regulator setup I have was the promo deal Hollis had a while back where you got a free octo with the setup. So I'm going to try and return it and pay the balance for something better. So I just want to get an entirely new setup. So most likely I'm looking at Aqualung or Apeks. I'm going to take a look at some of the models posted up and I will post any questions that I have later tonight.

Nice that you have a local AquaLung dealer local.....definately consider the Apeks (I use Ds4/ATX50 in 40 degree water, deep). Or if money is a consideration checkout the Titans, we use them in our rental fleet as they are "student proof", easy to maintain and a guy named Pascal Bernabe used them to 1000 feet or so....they might be okay for you.

Back
Top Bottom