Ice/Cold Water Regulator Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tablets

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Hollis 212, DC2 setup and recently on some deeper dives with temperatures in low 40s it just hasn't been working properly. I free flowed twice and another guy who had the exact same setup had the same issues. I'm looking to upgrade to a better setup. Currently I dive mostly in the Wisconsin area and plan to dive into the Winter months.

So what regulators setups would you recommend or what should I look for when I purchase one?

Most of the threads I've found seem to be a few years old. Most of them mention Apeks and Poseidon as some of the better brands. I've also read Aqualung has some decent ones as well. As far as components, should I be looking for mostly metal?

Thanks for any info.

Look at my avatar photo. Those are HOG regs under the ice last Februrary. I have also had them to the bottom of Lake Erie with 38 degree water temps and will be taking them down this weekend into a quarry with temps in the 38-40 degree range with no reservations whatsoever. And yes I do sell them, but the ice dives and Erie ones were done long before I began selling them. I trust them and would let my kids take them under the ice.

As far as deep.goes mine have been to 150 and I have people diving them to three hundred with no issues at all.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You will find a lot of fans of the HOG and Apeks regs. I personally dive Apeks and they have a long history of good performance in cold water environments.

Any specific models for the Apeks?

I see HOG is basically 1 choice with just different options and a more compact version first stage.

As far as deep.goes mine have been to 150 and I have people diving them to three hundred with no issues at all.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
do they remove the cold kit to eliminate the overbalancing when going that deep?

that isn't that deep....

do they remove the cold kit to eliminate the overbalancing when going that deep?

I will add that had I not currently be significantly invested in SP, HOG would be a prime consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom