ICD and switch to nx38 from normoxic trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am not mistaken Don Shirley took a IBCD (inner ear) hit above 80m switching to an inappropriate mix during that fatal dive with Dave Shawn in Boesmansgat.

Uh, he was on a 250m dive and switched from CCR to OC. LOL... this is not comparing apples to apples. This is comparing apples to hammers.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

You're over thinking this. IBCD is an issue with extreme depths.

What's 45 meters in american? About 140'? I'm guessing?

There's no chance in hell you're going to get IBCD on a 140' dive. Sure, maybe 1 time in 10,000 dives. But you're more likely to get eaten whole by a jellyfish. I joke.

This is not something I'd be concerned with even a little.

pete is right

21/35 switching to 50% is a thing that happens all the time. ok so you have 40% instead because ur fill station is broken or whatever. just go scuba diving

I wonder if there's not something more to the plan than the OP has said...

I just ran a dive to 140FSW on 21/30 with a 30 minute bottom time and EAN40 as deco into V-planner... There aren't any warnings. It's quite straightforward, as you'd expect.

Legit question...

How is it that you are able to get trimix but unable to get a proper deco mix?

I had my deco cylinder commercially oxygen cleaned by the only shop in the city doing such things, but the club that owns the mixing station, apparently does not trust that shop, and requires the O2 cleaning to be done by some of the clubs members. I have never done O2 cleaning myself. Yet. I have a dive coming, and unless I magically find another fill station somewhere, I must use ean40, and a mix to match.

Suunto might be a little bit conservative again? Look at this profile in Suunto Dive Manager 3: 21/35+nx40, bottomtime 20min, depth 45m, ICD warning? Time to retire this app? Suunto dive manager 5 (the newest one) allows nx40 but not 39. Suunto apparently does not consider depths at all. Oh well, maybe better to do this with Multideco or some other proper tech planning software.

DM3.jpg

Uh, he was on a 250m dive and switched from CCR to OC. LOL... this is not comparing apples to apples. This is comparing apples to hammers.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

You're over thinking this. IBCD is an issue with extreme depths.

I love your apple vs hammer joke, because that all it is. It not about CCR vs OC, or the max depth he complete, but the depth where he made the switches and what those gas ratios was at depth.

If I am overthinking this, please do a dive to around 270 feet on 15/55 for 30min, then start your ascent to 200feet and switch to air for 10min. This is a short shallow dive, nothing even remotely close to extreme depth. That should clearup any doubt.

IBCD is a gas diffusion speed calculation. The gas diffusions speeds dont change, they are what they are.

HPNS is something I know is related to extreme depths, or the speed of descent at depth.

Suunto might be a little bit conservative again? Look at this profile in Suunto Dive Manager 3: 21/35+nx40, bottomtime 20min, depth 45m, ICD warning? Time to retire this app? Suunto dive manager 5 (the newest one) allows nx40 but not 39. Suunto apparently does not consider depths at all. Oh well, maybe better to do this with Multideco or some other proper tech planning software.

View attachment 200841

I'd say "don't use recreational software to plan a tech dive"... :)

I love your apple vs hammer joke, because that all it is. It not about CCR vs OC, or the max depth he complete, but the depth where he made the switches and what those gas ratios was at depth.

If I am overthinking this, please do a dive to around 270 feet on 15/55 for 30min, then start your ascent to 200feet and switch to air for 10min. This is a short shallow dive, nothing even remotely close to extreme depth. That should clearup any doubt.

IBCD is a gas diffusion speed calculation. The gas diffusions speeds dont change, they are what they are.

HPNS is something I know is related to extreme depths, or the speed of descent at depth.

what?

View attachment 200841
Deleted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom