IANTD in the PNW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be moving to the PNW very soon (the moving truck comes on August 4th) and after that I will be Orca Bait, recently I have been looking at IANTD's Recreational Trimix class, but am having trouble finding an IANTD facility in the area? Does anyone know of anything in the area, or have another Rec 3mix class they would suggest.

Right now my equipment is a LP 108 with an H-Valve, no doubles yet or I would just look into everything.

I'd like to have doubles with in the next year, so we'll see how it all works out.

Austin

There are several IANTD instructors in the PNW area. I would call IANTD and get some referrals. Remember, an IANTD instructor doesn't have to be affiliated with a shop to teach (and I'm sure you can put together the training advantages to that).

Where exactly are you moving to?

Rick,

I have done almost all my certifications up to this point with independent instructors and I think it's a great way to go. My instructors have always taken tons of time to go over everything. I had a great set up here in Ohio the Instructor loved diving and coming to the Quarry with us so we would go camping for the weekend do the dives and afterwards he was sitting around the fire debriefing the dive with us and treating us as dive buddies that he just happened to be teaching he truely befriended all his students, and was willing to dive with them as dive buddies whenever he went diving after that. His personality willingness to teach actually made him a very successful operation b/c people wanted to continue taking classes and advance in their diving and have their friends take the class through him.

I am moving to Bremerton. I'll be working at the PSNS. From what I understand Spokane is a lil' bit of a hike, but I'd be more than willing to make it every once and a while.

Steve White of GUE is certified to teach Rec Triox -- He's in Seattle. He's a good guy, and that's a good (and very rigorous) course. You don't have to take it in doubles.

Steve White of GUE is certified to teach Rec Triox -- He's in Seattle. He's a good guy, and that's a good (and very rigorous) course. You don't have to take it in doubles.

Does Steve have a website or any information that I can look at?

I'll hear-hear TSandM on Steve White (GUE). I don't think he has a web site, but you can do a Google and see/read stuff about his classes and teaching.. I fact, I'd bet that a ScubaBoard search will tell you a bunch.

I have both GUE and IANTD training. If you already have IANTD, you would be well served to do a GUE class, that's for sure (IMO). IANTA training can be wide and varied depending on the instructor, but with GUE, not so much.

Brutus, you should check out Edmonds technical diving, google it and he has a place in hood canal, fills the gas, pretty much does it all. He runs the police dive team in edmonds, and is a detective for the edmonds police department.

This guy has been around a long time teaching IANTD. you will get a fair shake on everything, class, accomendations, gassfills and where to dive, plus he has other classes so to further in dive industry if you wish.

Adventures down under is a dive shop that ron akesone owns that has been around along time also, he does alot of technical dive charters that seem to run year after year in our state.

Brutus your time and money shall not be wasted with these two IANTD Instructors, there's a reason they have been in the technical dive buissness for more than a decade.

Good luck to you on your narcosis free diving adventure, its kinda nice to be able to tweek you narc level with a little helium, when you go to our many live wrecks that our waters have gennerously given us always rember ther is alot of current that goes with it.

One of my favorites with no real current is the AJ fuller, and a few practice ones in Lk Washington.

Happy Diving

I took IANTD Rec Trimix with Jerome Ryan, in Seattle.

I'm not sure if he's still teaching, but I thought it was a very well-done class ... I got a lot out of it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

HERE is a report I wrote of my Rec Triox experience with Steve.

TSandM,

Very nice write up I enjoyed it a lot. I do like the very demanding and challenging courses that the GUE offer, but am afraid it maybe a while before I have all the equipment lined up to take the courses the way that I would want to take them... not to mention the money. I figure I'm looking at 500 + for Fundies just to get me ready for the Rec TriOx class.

Then there is always the matter of my girlfriend probably not liking the fact that I'm gone two complete weekends in there.

That's why I was looking at Rec TriOx as something I could do through IANTD in the more near future since they'll teach it in my single LP 108, and I can pay off the drysuit, and make my next investment (Doubles) before I would think of a Fundies class. This route would offer me the ability to continue to learn, and also let me prepare myself for the GUE course where I'd be interested in a Technical route in the future anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom