Iantd Advanced Nitrox or DSAT Apprentice Tec Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
To All,

I am thinking about doing either an Iantd Advanced Nitrox course or a a DSAT Apprentice Tec diver.

Obviously the second course is more costly, but I wanted to get some opinions on the two courses and which in general you feel is more beneficial.

Thanks

Paul:confused:

6474286 once bubbled...
To All,

I am thinking about doing either an Iantd Advanced Nitrox course or a a DSAT Apprentice Tec diver.

Obviously the second course is more costly, but I wanted to get some opinions on the two courses and which in general you feel is more beneficial.

Thanks

Paul:confused:

I would take this question to the General Tek Discussion board. This group will be better able to point you in the right direction.

I would be more likely to go with any IANTD course, in fact I am. My IANTD Adv Nitrox class is next month.

To All,

Thanks

Paul

:confused:

Having taken all my tek courses throught IANTD, I would stay with IANTD.

You have to look at what each course will teach you and weigh that against the instructor and future courses.

As far as money, if you are getting into tec diving, cost better not be an issue. And I have no idea why "obviously" the DSAT costs more.

MD

MD,

Thanks for the response, the Dsat course is more expensive as it is a longer course that the IANTD one, as below:

==========================
Apprentice TecDeep Course

If you are interested in technical diving, but don"t have the certification or experience for the TecDeep Diver course, the DSAT Apprentice TecDeep Diver course is a sub-course within the TecDeep Diver course just for you.

This course teaches you to make gas switch, extended no-decompression dives using air and enriched air to 40 metres/130 feet using air, enriched air (with up to 60% oxygen) using technical diving equipment and technologies.

The training dives allow you to develop the motor skills necessary to complete technical diving.

Additionally, it trains you to prepare for and respond to foreseeable emergencies that may occur in technical diving. Since it is part of the TecDeep Diver course, your training becomes a credit towards the DSAT TecDeep Diver course.

To enroll in the Apprentice TecDiver course, you must:

· Be certified as PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or equivalent.

· Be certified as a PADI Enriched Air Diver or equivalent.

· Be certified as a PADI Deep Diver or equivalent.

· Be 18 years of age.

· Have a minimum of 50 logged dives of which at least 10 must be enriched air dives, 12 dives must be deeper than 18 metres/60 feet and at least 6 dives must be deeper than 30 metres/100 feet.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Paul

6474286 once bubbled...
MD,
This course teaches you to make gas switch, extended no-decompression dives using air and enriched air to 40 metres/130 feet using air, enriched air (with up to 60% oxygen) using technical diving equipment and technologies.

Paul

Gas switch, extended NO-deco dives :confused: with 60% O2?? Who the blazes uses 60% O2? Egad!

I would run, not walk away from this.

FWIW, my Adv. Nitrox/Deep with IANTD did alot more than this, with actual deco dives, with doubles. It also was not cheap by any means.

And to be quite frank, and no disrespect intended, if you can only make the minimum shown for this class, you are not ready for this type of diving and the IANTD classes.

MD

In my humble opinion, if you are taking the course merely to learn technical diving skills, then I would say that the instructor that you chose is more important than the agency that you are certified by. However, if you plan on becoming a DM or Instructor in the future, as indicated in your profile, then PADI is more marketable worldwide than IANTD.

I was looking into the DSAT tec course myself. I used to have an outline of the Dive profiles and performance objectives. If I remember it was 12 dives with the last dive to 145-165 range. I'll look around and see if I can find them and will PM you if I can.

Dives are made with doubles and 1-2 stage bottles depending on the dive. EQ reqmts are at least twin 72's or bigger, stages are min 40 cf, redundant lift such as a drysuit or second bladder, long hose and bungied alt air around the neck. Dual regulators with iso valve.

I havn't been though the IANTD course so can't speak about it but from the stuff I've read they both look to have about the same goals and performance objectives on learning how to conduct Deco Diving with accelerated deco stops using a high O2 nitrox blend.

PS, I know that PADI is working on a trimix class so I s'pose it will complement the DSAT Tec class.

GeekDiver once bubbled...

the last dive to 145-165 range. I'll look around and see if I can find them and will PM you if I can.

I havn't been though the IANTD course so can't speak about it but from the stuff I've read they both look to have about the same goals and performance objectives on learning how to conduct Deco Diving with accelerated deco stops using a high O2 nitrox blend.

The poster was comparing the Adv. Nitrox to the DSAT Apprendice class, not the full REC/Tec.

Also, IANTD does not dive below 130', and that is with EAN. There is no deep air with that class, or with Deep Diver.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom