Iantd Advanced Nitrox or DSAT Apprentice Tec Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And don't forget to check out ANDI. They offer great tech classes. However, be prepared to do alot of math in an ANDI class. They are very thorough when it comes to physics and physiology.

Find yourself an excellent instructor that is both IANTD and PADUI TEC REC then do the courses at the same time side by side. This is how I did it, and I sure got alot more than if I was only to do one of the courses.

My experience with IANTD classes (done a few years ago,Nitrox,Advanced nitrox,Technical nitrox,Deep Air,Tri-Mix and blender courses )left me with impression that instructors are much more important than agency.The curricula was horrid and very lacking in theory.DSAT seems more complete.Mentoring with experienced divers is valuable too.

:)

Good Morning All,

Thankyou for your comments, my instructor has offered either the IANTD course or the DSAT courses.

I think I am more inclined to go with the DSAT course, as in his words, it is a better course and had better skill requirements.

The other thing is that I know of 5 divers who are alredy part way through this course at the moment, so I will be able to dive with a varity of buddys.

Thanks again

Paul

Any comments on TDI? I'm planning on doing my Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures with them in a couple of months.

But the instructor is what makes or breaks any course. I did the TDI route as it was the only one available. I also have the IANTD and DSAT Rec-Tec materials as well. You never can have too many information sources available to you. There have been some good threads on TDS from folks who have recently done both DSAT and TDI courses and related in detail what the classes involved. From looking at it overall, the Rec-Tec course is a bit more complete in it's purpose to train you to be a new, but competant, tech diver. The TDI approach is more modular, where you need to take multiple classes to get the same training as in Rec-Tec. By the time you get to the same level in either system, you'll be spending about the same $$$$. TDI's approach lets you pace yourself and your funds a bit easier.

A lot depends on what you want to get out of the classes, are you tech bound, or just want to stay at 120' a bit longer than recreational and learn to do deco properly. Advanced Nitrox/deco proc. can be done with a single (large capacity with H valve) cylinder and a single 40cft deco bottle, but most instructors will stipulate doubles and two 40's. The Rec-Tec is designed around doubles and 2 stage/deco bottles. The video shows all Al80's for stage/deco, ask the instructor if you start with 40's and then use 80's, or just need 80's to begin with. The Rec-Tec is definately more gear intensive to start, but by the time you'd get to the same level of diving in TDI, you'd have the same amount of gear anyway. It's just how fast you have the money available to persue your goal.

As far as the course materials, Rec-Tec is as complete a student workbook as they come, blows the others away. It's well organized, easy to follow, has video available to see the skills being performed, get the crew pac even if you don't do the Rec-Tec course. It's good reference material. My TDI workbooks are much more "in need of instructor embellishment", You really need a great instructor here. The power point presentation that gets presented just isn't all that wonderful. Once you get to the skills, and that's what it's all about, I don't think you'll find any differences there. No matter what course you take, you'll be able to share air, do valve drills, don/doff stages, hold stops in open water etc.

Either way you go, be prepaired to work hard, that level of skills should make your DM course seem like OW by comparison.

Darlene

6474286 once bubbled...

This course teaches you to make gas switch, extended no-decompression dives using air and enriched air to 40 metres/130 feet using air, enriched air (with up to 60% oxygen) using technical diving equipment and technologies.

What is an "extended no-decompression" dive?

cornfed once bubbled...

What is an "extended no-decompression" dive?
My guess:

1) a bounce dive to 160 or so that you just come straight to the surface from (after being drunk and letting your dangling console computer clear).

or

2) spending a few hours at 8' breathing 60% o2 and hovering in an indian style sitting position holding your fin tips.

O-ring once bubbled...

2) spending a few hours at 8' breathing 60% o2 and hovering in an indian style sitting position holding your fin tips.

Wouldn't that tend to kink your p-valve plumbing :confused:

O-ring once bubbled...

My guess:

1) a bounce dive to 160 or so that you just come straight to the surface from (after being drunk and letting your dangling console computer clear).

or

Damn, you're cranky today! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom