I wouldn't go skydiving with a bath towel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by tchil01
Again, all of this is diving with a single tank.. and is my $0.02 only. I'm sure there are other pros and cons... but the first reason is the kicker for me.
Ty, if you must have a pony for your single tank dives then IMO it would be best to rig is as a deco bottle clipped off to the left chest & waist D-rings. This way it can be turned on to pressurize the reg and then back off for the dive so that gas is not inadvertently lost. It can also be unclipped and handed off to an OOA.

But you know that any dive that requires the carrying of a pony really needs the redundancy of doubles... it is weird to me what the Jersey boats require...

Dive safe...

As for the combination BC inflator/regulators out there...

This has been roundly debated here on Scuba Board as well as other forums... detailed information is available to those who search...

Let me say that I do not think they are a good idea.

In an OOA you don't want to complicate matters by having to use a compromised regulator... and sticking it there on the BC inflator hose compromises more than just performance. In an OOA your second goal after establishing a breathing device for each diver is to egress... and that usually means ascent... and that usually means dumping air from the BC on the way up to control the ascent... and now you have not only a compromised regulator in your mouth - you have compromised a primary dump valve.

One thing I have been wondering for a while is, if you are using a backup reg. to share in an ooa situation, what are the odds that you (or your buddy) are going to run out of air and your buddy (or you) is going to have enough air to share and get you both back to the surface, I know I use my air up at almost the same rate as my buddy. Does this mean that the backup reg. is more for an equipment failure or did I miss something? By the way I do recognize that you should always keep a close eye on your, and your buddies air supply and never put yourself into a situation where you might run out of air.
On the topic of carrying a pony bottle what about using a small pony bottle carried in the same way that you would carry a canister light, for those of us that are ow diving and don't need or in my case could not possibly afford one. This would have the added benefit of giving you somewhere to route your 7' primary hose, not that there is anything wrong with tucking it into your harness belt as Uncle Pug recommended.

1.) Good gas management means that you will not run OOA but should an unforseen equipment failure happen you will have the gas to share and the best means to share it. The reason we leave xxx psi in our tanks is because that is the amount it takes to get two divers to the surface with a safety stop... this *rock bottom* amount of gas set aside should be adjusted for depth of dive. Basic OW divers are taught to leave 500 psi or 700 psi but usually not taught why.

2.) the canister light is a signalling tool that allows you to remain in passive communication with your buddy at all times... you see his beam and he sees yours (even in the day time) and you know all is well... and you can actively signal one another... draw a circle for OK? He circles back OK! Wag the light beam back and forth rapidly and he knows that you need his attention NOW so he turns to you (swimming if necesary to close the distance) with regulator held out for you in case it is an OOA...

If you waste money on stuff like ponys and pony regs you will never be able to save for a decent light. Can the pony idea and you are halfway there to an HID or all the way there for an ebay Halogen... (and by the time you save the dough the prices will have come down)

Originally posted by Burke
I know I use my air up at almost the same rate as my buddy. Does this mean that the backup reg. is more for an equipment failure or did I miss something

Basically yes. I mean, there is plenty of situations where one diver has a much better air consumption rate than another, or there is different sized tanks, or one wasn't as full as the other, but in general if you have basic training you shouldn't run into a problem. Everyone has some idea about how long they can stay down, and watch their SPGs, and can even tell when their tanks start to get lighter ["Oh.. gotta check that pressure gauge!"].

I never really read the OOA thread, but I should go back and see what people's situations were where they ended up in an OOA situation. My guess is more that it'd be equipment failure that requires it than rather than actually just breathing all your air away.

Just to step of topic, how much better is a canister light vs. a UK light cannon HID, my dive buddy and I both use them and they are great for night dives but wouldn't work to good for signalling in daylight. Considering the price difference, 100$ Uk vs. lots$$ canister hid, if I ever get that much money would it really be worth it to step up to a canister light for ow diving?

Originally posted by funky__monks
My guess is more that it'd be equipment failure that requires it than rather than actually just breathing all your air away.
Cripes Funky... never underestimate the stupidity of the average diver... I even know a guy that ran OOA because he knew that he had a spare air... only when it came time to use it... it didn't work.

I learn from other peoples mistakes:D

I guess some people are here simple to serve as a warning to others.

Originally posted by Burke
if I ever get that much money would it really be worth it to step up to a canister light for ow diving?
You just can't understand the value of a focusable light for signalling until you've used one... we won't dive without em...

They have given us great freedom in diving...

We no longer having to constantly twist and turn trying to keep our buddy in view... or just give up and do the same ocean buddy routine...

It allows us to dive as a team and the more we do so the less we need anykind of hand signals... or even eyeball contact... we do it all with our lights.

Light cannon is ok for light but you have already discovered its big limitation.

Now for the money you spent on a light cannon and the money you could have spent on a pony/reg you could almost buy a EE Pro4 10w HID !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom