I wouldn't go skydiving with a bath towel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is this instructor who went searching for supper the same person who recommended the spare air over an octo?

Stay Wet :dance:

Yes it all boils down to the amount of fabric you feel safe with...

In some areas folks feel safe jumping out with only a towel...
Though some folks would want two towels tied together...

But in some parts folks only feel safe with a full bedsheet...
King size or Queen size... you know your local conditions best...

Aye Carumba :rolleyes:

Has any of you considered that perhaps your reserve chute should be as robust as your main chute?

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Has any of you considered that perhaps your reserve chute should be as robust as your main chute?

My purchase of a second Poseiden reg is a move in this direction. I have it on my pony now but was thinking it would be my second reg when I move to doubles.

My question is.. would the doubles be better set up as independents, or manifolded together. I've heard both recommended.. much the same as I have heard octo vs pony... but which would be as "robust as your main chute"?

Ty

Well....if you want to talk real skydiving....my reserve is MUCH larger than my main canopy.....but then again, my main is fairly small. I feel that if I need to use my reserve, I'm in a bad situation and I want a nice, big "safety net".

Of course, skydiving has nothing to do with diving...but I think the last phrase of the paragraph above holds true for skydiving and scuba diving. :D

Mike

Originally posted by tchil01
My question is.. would the doubles be better set up as independents, or manifolded together. I've heard both recommended.. much the same as I have heard octo vs pony... but which would be as "robust as your main chute"?

Ty

Manifolded. Get a good manifold with an isolation valve and you have all the good features of independants and none of the bad. I can only think of one reason to use independants and that is caving with sidemount rigs, very specialized indeed. I have dived independant back-mounted doubles, way too much hassle switching regs to keep your bottles balanced.

Tom

Originally posted by funky__monks
I decided to avoid the whole doubles vs. pony discussion.
Me too... but then Ty had a side question apart from the original premise... and that thankfully afforded me the opportunity to get the real deal out there on the table :D

C'mon, you're not seriously suggesting that one should get doubles to use one as a spare air source?

Stay Wet :dance:

IMO... independents aren't doubles... they are two singles... and that is what a pony is... a small single... and that is what a Spare Air is... a very small single...

Doubles mean manifolded together so that all of the gas is available to either first stage... and of course the only proper manifold is an isolation manifold... IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom