I was told I may have dropped it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belce

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
The bottom dump valve on my Oxycheq wing fell off, cleaved from the male screw in part. When Oxycheq was contacted for this, they said that the wing and all other parts may have been dropped causing the failure and not covered. Does Oxycheq understand how their product is used?

When Oxycheq told this divemaster they were not going to honour their warranty on a failed BCD part not even 3 months old, that had never been dropped or poorly treated in any way I did not need to be told twice.

I spend thousands of dollars diving and on gear each year, people ask me for my advice and your response has informed my advice, sucks to be Oxycheq.

Did you try the shop where you bought the wing? They may be more accommodating than dealing with Oxycheq directly. If the male end still attached to the wing is undamaged, it's as easy and getting another valve and screwing it on.

For the record this is the type of post that kept me from getting an Oxycheq wing.

Wow, I didn't know they were like that. Of course you don't know if the BC was ever abused. it could have been slammed by a tank from someone else being careless (while you were in the head). Did the part unscrew and fall off or crack and fail.. not sure what cleave means?

The bottom dump valve on my Oxycheq wing fell off, cleaved from the male screw in part. When Oxycheq was contacted for this, they said that the wing and all other parts may have been dropped causing the failure and not covered. Does Oxycheq understand how their product is used?

When Oxycheq told this divemaster they were not going to honour their warranty on a failed BCD part not even 3 months old, that had never been dropped or poorly treated in any way I did not need to be told twice.

I spend thousands of dollars diving and on gear each year, people ask me for my advice and your response has informed my advice, sucks to be Oxycheq.

I recommend you contact your dive shop.. there was a conversation recently with a dive shop in Canada ( I think over three weeks ago) about a base... The end result of the conversation was that we needed the wing and parts to determine a warranty. We cannot warranty something without having it here to make a determination. To date the dive shop has not contacted OxyCheq for an RMA after they were to talk to the "customer" about the possible options.

Br,

Dwain
OxyCheq

Last edited:
I have 2 oxycheq wings. Both have suffered cracked or broken bladder flanges. One of the incidents- butt dump coming off in my hand while diving was a defect in the part. New wing and never out of my sight. The other I *suppose* could have been a fill station's fault but I doubt it.

Both flanges broke at the stress concentration area where the flange joins the threaded part. I'd have to call this a design flaw or manufacturing defect (wrong material) in the flange since they could not withstand the normal loads involved in scuba diving.

The bladder flange is a cheap part, so I just replaced them both myself.

All this said, I've been very happy with the wings otherwise.

I live in Canada and shipping stuff to the US sucks, I get better service from Europe. For me to send my BCD to a place in the US would mean not diving for months and I dive all the time. The dive shop I work out of replaced the failed dump valve for me with out charge.

The dump valve screws into the bottom of the wing with a about a half inch threaded male connection. This connection cleaved off almost flush with the dump valve itself. One of my reasosn for reporting this failure was to point out a failing in your gear so that it could be corrected for future users of this item.

I have had 2 T-nut failures on my Oxycheq travel wing. The first occurred on the first trip I used the brand new wing. The T-nut cracked full circle as I believe you are describing and the dump valve pulled off in my hand as I was attempting to use it. I believe the connection was over-torqued and damaged during assembly. The DS sent me the repair parts at no charge.

The second occurred just a couple weeks ago on the now 2+ year old wing. I failed to bungee the rig in a boat's tank rack and it took a tumble landing on the shoulder connection cracking the T-nut 180 degrees and puncturing the corrugated hose. Clearly my fault. A little modification and duct tape got me through the week. And a new T-nut has it repaired.

I think Oxycheq could do a better customer relations job in handling these type of problems. Help customers get parts and do repairs.

EDIT: The "cleaved" description suggests to me that the problem was likely due to over-torquing (by someone) rather than some accident. The T-nut probably cost about $1 - the entire dump assembly under $5. I have to wonder how many sales are up for grabs though good or bad handling of incidents like this.

Hi,
If you can't get any help from Oxycheq, go to this site and buy the parts to do the repair yourself.

Backplate and Wings - Wings/BC Parts - Oh ****! BC Parts - Northeast Scuba Supply

It sounds like you need the inner flange for the inflator/ dump valve.

I am not going to defend Oxycheq because I don't know the details.

I have had the dump valve crack on 1 of my Oxycheq wings.

I has gearing down after a dive and when I put the BP/W set up on the picnic table I pinched the valve between the table and tank bottom and backplate . I cracked the flange at the base.

If you do go the parts route, buy extras for the save a dive kit.

Jim breslin

Back
Top Bottom