I want to buy a new compass.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to buy a new compass. Mine is an older Sherwood model and
I notice many other diver's compasses work better. Some seem to have
self levelling compass cards and settle on a heading faster then mine.
Also mine does not work unless I hold it perfectly level. Others seem to be more tolerent of being held off-level.

Who makes the best compass?

All I need is the basic module that can be shoved into a rubber
console of wrist mount.

Scubakevdm:
I have a ScubaPro one, it works pretty well for me. I haven't notced a big gap in perfomance between any of them though.

My "problem" is that I own a sailboat and mounted at the helm
is a Ritchie "Globemaster". This compass retails for about $600
and is worth the price. Once you've used a really good compass
you get spoiled

Characteristics of a good compass are:

1) When you rotate the compass the north pointing arrow dose not move and requires no time to "settle"

2) the compas card is gimbled so that it remains level if the compass is not level.

MarcHerm:
Suunto SK7! Best available!

I'm pretty happy with mine as well!

another vote for SK7. I currently don't own one, but have used them, and when budget provides, I'll be buying one.

The SK7's are nice. One note of caution- depending on how you want to use the compass could determine where you buy it. I've seen some internet purchases deviate by up to 10 degrees when compared to others purchased locally. Depending on how and where a compass is clocked, this is a possibility. If you are going to sight and swim your own course, this doesn't matter. If you are, instead, doing a dive and following someone else's bearings, this could be an issue. Another nice feature with the Suunto is that it reads a reciprical course thru the opppsite side of the compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom