I want to buy a new compass.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use a scubapro compass and i,m petty happy with it,my buddy has the suunto sk7 if your navigation skills are good,then you should be able to get around with any model.The only difference is the tilting degree in which the compass seize,hold it horizontal as good as you can and all of the models are good !!peace

Suunto Sk7. Large numbers and view window if you are far sighted like me. Also has a pretty steep tilt angle before it freezes.

This is probably the best diving compass I've seen. I've got one myself, set up as a wrist mount. You can also get it configured for console mounting.

I see the SK7 sold in both a rubber wrist mount and in a plastic housing that will screw into a Suunto console. Can I remove it from either of these and put it into another mount. I have a "three hole" Sherwood console. I like the console. It's got two holes on one side and one
for a computer on the flip side, it is short and compact. Nice except the Sherwood compas has _zero_ tilt tolerance and worse, if you do tilt it, it points wrong

I have to replace my 30 year old SP compass. It is getting harder and harder to read the faded, discolored dial/oil. I don't know if any new compasses will fit in my console. Does anyone know if the SK7 has similar dimensions? If not, what compass will compare.

ChrisA:
I see the SK7 sold in both a rubber wrist mount and in a plastic housing that will screw into a Suunto console. Can I remove it from either of these and put it into another mount. I have a "three hole" Sherwood console. I like the console. It's got two holes on one side and one
for a computer on the flip side, it is short and compact. Nice except the Sherwood compas has _zero_ tilt tolerance and worse, if you do tilt it, it points wrong

I took the rubber wrist mount compass, removed the big, bulky wrist straps & threaded a 1" wide black elastic band (visit any fabric store) through the slots. Doubled the elastic band over itself, through on a dab o' superglue, and through some black thread stitches around the outside (well, OK, that was my wife's contribution...). Fits perfect, no bulky strap, love it on the wrist.

(Did the same thing with the Vyper...that's one hefty wrist strip it comes with...)

Jim

Allison Finch:
I have to replace my 30 year old SP compass. It is getting harder and harder to read the faded, discolored dial/oil. I don't know if any new compasses will fit in my console. Does anyone know if the SK7 has similar dimensions? If not, what compass will compare.

No the Suunto compass wil not fit the Oceanic style boot..
If you buy an SK7 you have to keep it in the mounting it came with
However the Ocianic, Sherwood, aries and so on brands all
seem to be about the same and are interchangable.

One more vote for the Suunto SK7

The reciprical course feature is nice to have and the compass seems to travel weel (I travel and dive a lot).
Rugged and needs minimal care to be reliable for years to come.

Another Suunto SK-7 vote.. Very stable, easy to read, and good "glow in the dark" readability for night dives.. Somebody mentioned reading while tilted - I think the SK7 is good for about 30 degrees of tilt without any trouble.. (Used to have it in a console, but now have a wrist mounted version and like it even more)

Back
Top Bottom