I want a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Someone else restarted it for him. Anyway.

Unfortunately, the restart did not include a statement that the poster was not interested in BP's so the thread got hijacked again. I guess new members need some education on this point so that they have some choice about what they are going to hear about.

leadweight once bubbled...
I guess new members need some education on this point so that they have some choice about what they are going to hear about.
Part of the newbies education includes backplate/wings.

Leadweight your insistence that some information is off limits is wearing more than a little thin.

Just give your opinion on the subject of buoyancy compensators and leave the thought policing to me. :D

It is not the information that is off limits. It is the way that it is being presented.

leadweight bubbled....

...a statement that the poster was not interested in BP's...

I don't think he said he wasn't interested in them. He said he wanted something "cool". That's a very subjective request.

There were a few post originally that steered him away form the HUB style. I though they were very apropriate.

As for the diatribe that flamed over the BP vs BC, well, the concept of a BP is substantially better conceptually than any jacket I've seen. I not DIR/GUE trained, but all the intuitive skill development I've acheived on my own follows the same fundamental principles that they are expounding.

I dive a back inflate that's very close conceptually to the BP setup. As close as I could get and still have the older & lazier creature comforts I wanted. Mostly weight integration and some padding n the shoulders.

I've wondered for years why back inflation hadn't caught on. Every where we went on vacation, everybody was still using a jacket. They just don't put you in the right position for swimming underwater. Period. End of Discussion. And that comes form someone that IS NOT DIR trained.

Irregardless of all the other flaming that went on in this thread, like it or not the fundamental concepts of DIR are correct. I'm not going to defend the absolute imperative that many have regarding the BP/Wings configuration.

I haven't dove them. But having been trained in the early 70's by a very competent ex-military instructor that stressed safety, planning, and skill development, they have it right a h*#4uva more than any of the mainstream certifying agencies do. At least they expect you to be able to reasonably be able to save yourself form yourself.

Given the choice, I think I'd rather have one of them covering my back.

I don't see how anyone with even a modicum of experience can argue with the overwhelming majority of what they have to offer. It's just a damn shame that it can't be discussed in a more civilized manner.

And then...

leadweight recently bubbled...

It is hard to top the technical diving mailing list for flames as GI3 is a regular contributor. The man is really a flaming orfice.

There was some discussion about not getting persaonl earlier. Don't know to whom you refer, but that comment seems awfully personal.

Guess I need to go back and review this thread to get a little more familiar with the mindset of the participants.

Hear Yea - Hear Yea

Henceforth, this will be the official Scubaboard diver gear configuration, given that we retain the Right to validate and spread our ideology while refuting and invalidating all others, irrespective of facts or reason which may be presented in a futile attempt to alter our goal of total and complete Scuba Domination.

Our best doctors and scientist have determined that for your own safety you implement them immediately. Irrefutable valid explanations provided, dismiss all others.

Either join or get out of the water!

A backplate with wings on every back. All other bc's have been created by the Evil Marketing Empire with the only purpose being to make you look Cool.

An Apex or Scubapro from every mouth. Others may be better but they don't compare.

A double tank full of Trimix on all dives, including all pool dives.

A Jetfin on every foot. Please do not accuse us of shunting technology. Did you see the "Jet" part.

All dives must be tracked mentally with you narced brains. ( We have compiled irrefutable evidence demonstrating the brain rotting effects, without exception, that occur when any DIR diver attempts to use one of these Vodoo Thinking Widgets. Never mind that one of these Vodoo machines has beaten a human master at the thinking man's game of Chess - and doesn't get narced) Prove it.

Horizantal position must be maintained at all cost. All who resort to vertical run the risk of turning into a kelp bush.

And don't forget, kick like a cave frog, lest you stir up the bottom 300 feet below.

And most of all "Do Not Disturb Our Darkness". Cavemen working.

Scua bubbled...

Horizantal position must be maintained at all cost. All who resort to vertical run the risk of turning into a kelp bush.

That was good.

Like I said above, don't agree completely, but the basic concepts are far more sound than anything else out there I've come across in oh so many years.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Part of the newbies education includes backplate/wings.

[snip]

Exactly. I had no idea these things existed before reading about them here. I also had no idea about DIR before this board. While I (currently) have no plans on being anything more than a rec diver (Overhead environments? Not at this time thanks!), I found the ideas expressed on the GUE and WKPP sites to make total sense. It dovetailed very nicely with what my instructor was telling me when we were talking about purchasing gear (KISS, a.k.a. keep it simple, stupid!), and my own personal gear philosophies as a computer geek and musician. Does this mean I'm gonna rush out and get a BP+wing tonight? No. It does mean I know these options are out there, and when the time to purchase gear does come, I will have more information to help me decide what I want to buy.

Jimmie

GI3 is George Irvine III, one of the main spokespersons for DIR. As such he is a public figure and is subject to a different standard than members of this board.

Otherwise, I am abandoning this thread, so everyone can say bad stuff about me without fear. Besides, I need the time to clean my mask with soft scrub, gulp a few bottles of white wine and think about my trip to Belieze in 3 weeks (which is nice because I have only been home from Coco View for 4 days.)

Back
Top Bottom