I want a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry I disapeared after suggesting such a hot topic, I had some non diving isues to deal with and never got back.

I want to thank everyone for their opinion that is what this board is for and why I asked the question. Many of you had lots of fun with the subject but I do apritiate all the answers.

I am still looking for a cool BC
Thanks Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevsgarage once bubbled...

I am still looking for a cool BC
Thanks Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're back!!!

All rhetoric aside, I highly recommend the Back Plate and Wing. Its very cool, comfortable, functional and travels well. I posted a more detailed list of reasons in the other thread on this issue.

Seajay posted an excellent discussion of his recent experience with a BP&W. It emphasizes how important it is to have the thing fit properly. Many of the other posters in that thread addressed his concerns.

Besides, I get a commission from GUE every time I say back plate.

back plate back plate back plate back plate back plate back plate back plate :D :D :D :D

This was a joke. I don't really get a commission. If you have difficulty with this concept, please breathe into a paper bag until the need to respond passes.

Thanks for the info. I will check into BP's with all the response, must be something to it.

The Escape packs well. The Concept II is very cutomizable to different sizes. The HUB has at least two major drawbacks....it forces you into using all of the vendor's equipment which may/may not be the most appropriate for your application (trying to be kind) and last I looked, the Mares HUB AAS deployment required a zipper pocket to be undone....not something I want to deal with after a panicked diver has ripped my 2nd stage out of my mouth...or in DIR parlance...after I have donated my known working 2nd stage.

Craig

:doctor:

I have to agree with most of the comments made about the HUB. I have tried it and it takes a bit to get used to. You will also have to get a tech degree in order to maintain it. However, don't compare the HUB to the Pegasus or Morphos, as the only techy thing on these BCs is the Airtrim. The rest of the BC is the standard high quality MARES parts.

I recently had a chance to play with the Pegasus and I was pleasantly surprised. It was very comfortable and easy to control. The Airtrim control fixed to my left hip, meant no fumbling for the inflator. Really easy to trim your buoyancy and not having to lift the inflator was also a welcome feeling. Very streamlined also.

While I have to admit the Airtrim takes getting used to, it's the same for any new piece of equipment. Practice, practice, practice. As far as buttons sticking, that can also happen to any equipment. I had the button stick on me with my old Seaquest BC. My fault for not cleaning it properly.

I will be trying the Morphos next, but I expect the same. I prefer a jacket style BC to a back inflator. But, you need to decide which type BC you like and go demo if you can. Have fun and practice those skills. :mean:

MaresMan1 once bubbled...
:doctor:

I have to agree with most of the comments made about the HUB. I have tried it and it takes a bit to get used to. You will also have to get a tech degree in order to maintain it. However, don't compare the HUB to the Pegasus or Morphos, as the only techy thing on these BCs is the Airtrim. The rest of the BC is the standard high quality MARES parts.

With all due respect, there is nothing "techy" about an airtrim. Its more complicated than it needs to be in order to accomplish its function. That means more chance of failure. Why add more failure points when you're already increasing your risk level by tech diving?

I realize that gizmos like the airtrim garner few fans around here, but I find it very interesting that now Scubapro has come out with its own version of it on its flagship Classic BC. That makes it 2 of the 3 really big scuba manufacturers (Mares, Scubapro, and Aqualung). No, guys, I am not running out to buy one.

I guess we will find out if this is progress, or another way to collect more of our $$$ like titanium regulators.

I still haven't decided on a new BC but I think I can pretty much rule out the HUB. after all the chatter about it on this thread I would be afraid to show up some where with one even if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Seems most people out there are a little afraid of change, Working with hydrolic hoses for a living I am aware of what can go wrong with a hose and while being internal does hinder quick visual inspections, being inside also protects them from being snagged or pulled on. And although they might take curves a little tighter than usual they are less subject to constant flexing of an external hose.

I have to completly agree with the downfall of being restricted to using their regs, but I believe they are pretty good regs.
anyway I am still interested in the Pegasus and Morphis BC but I am still open to every suggestion.

Steve
:froggy:

Anyone have any bad input on the Ranger, Escape or Concept II?

Craig

I did not mean to imply that the Pagasus or Morphos were tech BC's. They are definately not. However they are no more complicated than a standard BC.

All they have done is moved the inflator to a stationary position on the left side. This is a great improvement (IMHO) over the dangly thingy. When I tested the Pegasus, I was really impressed. My only concern was having to get used to the oral inflator (but that just means practice).

From what I understand here the Morphos has completely sold out. Must be something about it. Now, ScubaPro, SeaQuest and Aqualung have released their own versions. Maybe BC's do evolve.

:mean:
DiveOn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom