i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow the :no: looses its effectiveness when your post contains multiple factual errors. I don't know what the air force standard is for cabin pressure, but 1000' altitude equivalent is not a lower pressure than 8000' in any case, its a lot higher pressure. Anyway Air Force air crew requirements are bound to be very different from commercial airline flight passenger requirements. I would guess many Air Force plans are not pressurized at all, with the additional weight and chance of catastrophic decompression in battle.

Good points. The pressure change due to going from sea level to 1000 feet is the same as changing depth in sea water by 2 feet. Does anyone seriously think that a 2 foot change in depth is a decisive factor in getting bent or not? Going from sea level to 8000 feet altitude is like changing depth by 8.5 feet. A big enough change that it could be significant if you tacked it onto to the end of a dive, but 22 hours later?

So, how long was it after you dived that you took the plane trip?....just trying to understand why you got the bends.

So, how long was it after you dived that you took the plane trip?....just trying to understand why you got the bends.

Cheri, Welcome to the board. This information was post in the beginning of the thread by the OP, I believe is was 22 hours, well past the minimums generally recommended by most agencies. At 200+ post there is very little new information to be gleaned by asking the same questions that have been answered previously. I think if you read the post from the beginning, it will become clear to you. Dive safe and have fun.

When you dive to 100 feet, it is advisable to do a deep safety stop to off-gas at half the deepest depth.
I was under the impression that deep stops were controversial, and that there was evidence that deep stops actually increased nitrogen loading. Speaking here, of course, of dives within recreational limits.

In this article from DAN from the Winter 2010 Alert Diver several experts agree that for deco diving, if the computer includes an option for a deep stop, it's fine to use it, but otherwise one should either follow the computer, or get a different computer. For recreational (no-deco) diving, one of the experts (Bennett) advises a 2.5-minute stop at half the depth, but all the others say there is no evidence it makes a difference.

The OP was within recreational limits, so as long as he remains within NDL limits, a deep stop won't hurt, but only one of the five experts felt it was "advisable."

We had a DAN official speak at our club several months back. He said deep stops are controversial, and I do believe he said DAN is no longer recommending them. You get the most off-gassing while decompressing when the pressure gradient is the largest. So, if you were at 120 and did a deep stop at 60, you would off-gas a little, but you would still be loading with nitrogen at a higher rate than if you were to continue toward the surface and do normal deco stops/safety stop. I don't think he said they were dangerous, so if you do want to make deep stops, keep doing them. I don't.

Best wished for a speedy recovery. Please share the download info when you can. :popcorn:

If you don't know about DAN's project DPE check into it.

There are always risks and some unexplained issues.
Was it a private aircraft or a pressurized commercial one ? What was the meteorological conditions ?

How hydrated were you ? frequent and copious ?

Diverep: Your questions are already answered in the thread. I know it's a long one, but I think it's better to read it than to ask the OP to repeat.

He does not have the ability to download the dive profile. It was a scheduled commercial jet. I'm pretty sure he mentioned hydration, though I don't remember the answer.

beside everybody are not all the same and not the same all times, I second Bubbletrubble on post #26 OP probably did some strenuous post-dive exercise.
I also think that because once it happened to have helped someone with car battery low, other and I pushed his car, it was few hour after two dives, all of us felt not very well at our spin and shoulders for days, this did not happen suddenly but from following day, may it be a coincidence?
Probably if we had to take a plane, things could have been worse, anyway since then I never do anything hard after diving, no more than carry my scuba gear.

When I've dove in FL the two tank morning dive doesn't get back until 12:30 or 1:00. If you left at 7:30 the next morning that would have been less than 22 hours. Not saying it would have made a difference anyway.

When I've dove in FL the two tank morning dive doesn't get back until 12:30 or 1:00. If you left at 7:30 the next morning that would have been less than 22 hours. Not saying it would have made a difference anyway.
Interesting. I have followed this thread from the beginning but never checked the numbers. Even if he was out of the water by 11:30am, that'd be 20 hours - well within DAN's guidelines but. It'd be difficult to do 2 wreck dives and be out of the water by 9:30am to fit the story huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom