I think I'm about done with Scubapro Regs...Looking for Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wondered where some of the anti HOT/EDGE garbage was coming from. Totally juvenile to resort to slinging mud on one are due to a disagreement in another.

I think it will take a lot more venom than these guys can muster do do any real damage to HOG/EDGE as long as the product remains the quality it is and the customer service does as well. You really can not go wrong buying HOG/EDGE in either of those categories. Not to even mention the value represented by their products. (this was NOT a paid advertising and I am not affiliated with HOT/EDGE in any way other than choosing to spend my money on their products)

Get an old Conshelf off ebay or somewhere. They are dirt simple to rebuild, are tough enough to beat down a mugger, and even if Aqualung went out of business tomorrow there are probably enough rebuild kits around to last for the next 100 years.
They have used the same innards for many many years.
Pretty hard to improve on something that works that good.

The D400 is an awesome reg. I have serviced them for years. They are not suited for amateur service. The adjustment procedure is awkward, tedious, and somewhat difficult if you don't know what you are doing. However, once properly tuned, you can pretty much leave them alone until you start having leaks. Look for a Scubapro technician who has been around for a while, ask them how many times they have serviced d-400s/350s/300s or Pilots. If they have worked on Pilots, they have indeed been around a while. They don't teach the D400 procedure anymore in the standard clinic so a newer tech might not know about them. As far as the HOGs or Edge regs, you have to get a retailer to agree to sell you the parts kits. The o-rings are not all standard sizes so outside sources aren't going to work. No one has ever told you that diving is an inexpensive sport. Find yourself a good shop with a good tech. Have your gear checked at least once a year and have it overhauled every couple of years. Atomic regulators are better than most at going a long time between overhauls. The second stage seat is where most regulators start to leak. Atomic's 2nd stages back off the seat when they aren't pressurized so the don't get a "set" like most others. Their cheapest regulator (approx $400) breathes every bit as good as their top of the line.

You do not need to have a tech diver rating to get parts for the HOG reg. But you do need one to take the service course.

This is a fascinating distinction, and I think a truly worthwhile one, that only HOG makes right now.

I think there is a level of commitment to both activities that reinforces each other.

This is a fascinating distinction, and I think a truly worthwhile one, that only HOG makes right now. I think there is a level of commitment to both activities that reinforces each other.
This support-non support thing seems to be country specific. Anyway, best solution is to make friends at your LDS:wink:

To make a long story short, my gear is a 20 year old D400/M15, Classic BC with Air2. My equipment looks like new.

I dive about ~5-6 times a year in tropical waters (mostly South Florida and keys, and the Caribbean). I have also taken breaks, where I don't dive for a year or so due to lack of buddy.

I love Scubapro, and I never though I would ever consider something else. Yes, you can call me a Scubapro fanboy. When a newbie ask me what equipment to buy, the first word out my mouth is scubapro.

But Scubapro warranty, service policy, and bad service on my beloved D400 is making me rethink the whole thing. Servicing my D400 has been very hit/miss. I have tried several LDS and if I'm lucky my D400 will work great. Tuning this regulator seems like it requires the skills of a formula 1 mechanic. Can't take it anymore and I don't like depending on the LDS technicians (and my life is depending on them).
I''m glad you were able to work through your problem.

I have three D400's that I am currently working on. I have been a Scubapro Tech. since the late 70's. I have spent many years diving, selling and servicing AIR I's (1979), D300's(1986), D350's & D400 (1994). I up-graded many D300's to D350's to D400.

I loved these regs. as others have expressed on Scubaboard. However, after almost 30 years Scubapro has exhausted many of the parts for these regs.
Depending on the condition of the reg., it may or may not be able to be serviced or in some cases brought back to life. In the OP's case due to fewer than 100 dives on his reg. & tender loving care, it appears his D400 was able to be serviced. Great! ( However, I would caution anyone who is attempting to work on a 20 year old reg. )

The point of my post is that some of Scubapro's older regs. may be serviced and some may not. The good news is that I can explain to my customer, whose reg. can no longer be serviced after almost 30 years, they can trade-in their 30 year old reg. for a new 2013 reg. Yes, they must be the original owner. Yes, there is a cost. But it is a very good deal.

I truely believe this option is more than fair.

How nice. Maybe you might occasionally post something about how these regs work that reveals some knowledge or even interest other than selling them. :wink:
I felt it might be of interest to anyone that owns an older Scubapro regulator that is no longer serviceable to be aware of the trade-in program. I don't believe that I was trying to sell D400's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom