I tasted the Kool Aide and it didnt agree with me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Well, I was asking a sincere question.

Since the course exists ... and was apparently put together with the help of a GUE instructor ... would it not be worth teaching?

Aren't any GUE instructors also former ... or current ... PADI instructors? Somehow I got the impression some of them were ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, I was asking a sincere question.

Since the course exists ... and was apparently put together with the help of a GUE instructor ... would it not be worth teaching?

Aren't any GUE instructors also former ... or current ... PADI instructors? Somehow I got the impression some of them were ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know I was just kidding around. Actually quite a few GUE instructors are also PADI instructors, including JJ, David Rhea, Dean Marshall and several others according to their resumes.

Of course the main reason they are with GUE is that they were dissatisfied with other agencies, so I doubt any of them are active PADI instructors or have any interest in teaching a PADI version of GUE-DIRF.

Some poeple like to live on the edge - DIR divers are not those people.

I am saying that you can learn valuable things from DIR without being DIR.

I bought the dvds ..six years ago. Do you all think you can frog kick backwards, do heli turns and deploy SMB's by studying the video and picking up pointers? I do..sure I realize thats not DIR--neither does my eclipse and long hose, but I like it. And the bungeed, I don't know how I ever dived without it frankly. Certailnly not on jet ski sleds. I love the gear, the way they explain deco, understanding points of failure and think I can benefit from that knowledge even solo or to penetrate more safely. Sometimes I get into big debates from a passionate point of view. As long as we are talking about "nobody advocates...deep air single tanks" lets be fair and acknowledge the big numbers of people doing the same and since I have been here--seven years, most all the deaths have been heart attacks and fitness issues. Yet nobody really harps on the really big guy in doubles. My only point is that the fruits of DIR are being utilized by many divers and I see more and more non-DIR divers picking and choosing. I don't understand the need to demonize either side.

And if people WANT to take Fundies maybe they should try my approach and teach themselves as much as possible before the class, load the dice.

I could name some of the best divers on this board who are doing the exact same thing but just never say it.--because they want to be "liked"--but not enough to "drink the koolaide" evidently. So, they do these great exciting dives and PM the pictures and the reports around. The forums lose when this happens. Unless public compliance is the main agenda..

catherine96821:
As long as we are talking about "nobody advocates...deep air single tanks" lets be fair and acknowledge the big numbers of people doing the same and since I have been here--seven years, most all the deaths have been heart attacks and fitness issues.

Some folks drink and drive every day and never kill anyone. By your logic drinking and driving is safe.

Yes, I can have a glass of wine with dinner and drive myself home.--without laughing too. Look--I am not trying to change you. If you think that is wrong, well don't do it.

If you do not know your limits then you should: 1) seek to know them ..or
2) follow a safe, predetermined rule. absolutely.

So, before you try and paint me as some drunken thrill seeker, know that I have never had a moving violation nor ever been bent, fwiw. Sorry but I have heard this drinking analogy mantra parroted too many times now.

NWGratefulDiver:

I don't know if it's still the case, but being certified as an instructor by some other agency used to be a pre-requisite to being a GUE instructor. So, yeah, there are current and former PADI instructors among the ranks of GUE instructors.

You've put your finger on the core problem with the PADI Essentials class - the quality of the teaching will depend almost entirely on the identity of the teacher. At least with GUE the cadre of instructors is small and tightly regulated. Such is not the case with PADI.

catherine96821:
Yes, I can have a glass of wine with dinner and drive myself home.--without laughing too. Look--I am not trying to change you. If you think that is wrong, well don't do it.

If you do not know your limits then you should:

1) seek to know them ..or

So, before you try and paint me as some drunken thrill seeker, know that I have never had a moving violation nor ever been bent, fwiw. Sorry but I have heard this drinking analogy mantra parroted too many times now.
Ditto, and I agree with Catherine whole heartedly.

catherine96821:

If you do not know your limits then you should: 1) seek to know them ..or

Deep overhead diving on a single Al80 does not equal a glass of wine at dinner.

I'm not trying to paint you anything.

Jason B:
Deep overhead diving on a single Al80 does not equal a glass of wine at dinner.

I'm not trying to paint you anything.
But you're making value judgements concerning people and situations that you know nothing about. Its fine to make those judgements for yourself, but lets not assume that when others make different judgements that their wrong.

Thalassamania:
But you're making value judgements concerning people and situations that you know nothing about. Its fine to make those judgements for yourself, but lets not assume that when others make different judgements that their wrong.
I don't think that's what he's doing at all. I think it's a matter of appropriateness.

Would one think of going into a local police station and proclaiming that "cops suck"?

Would someone stage a peace protest on a local USMC base?

Would someone walk into a Baptist church, spread a prayer mat toward Mecca and loudly proclaim "Allah is great"?

Would it be judgmental for the folks that were intended to be in those places to take exception if they did?

The rules of this forum are clear. Coming here to discuss deep air dives, solo dives, or penetration dives on small single cylinders is inappropriate ... not because people shouldn't do those things (I wouldn't do them, but if you want to, go nuts) ... but because it violates the purpose of this forum.

It's not a matter of value judgments ... it's a matter of respect ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom