I survived Ivan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel:
SeaYoda, or anyone in the Destin area please help!
I PM'd and emailed you. I know the area you are talking about but if you can get me a little closer with an address I can take some pictures to email you. I'm not real sure of the exact area where your condo is. The description above is of the area between the hospital and home which passes the area you are talking about.

Let me know if I can help any further.

I have e-mailed back. Sorry, there is no street address for the hwy 98, but my Dad said it is about in the 9800's. I wouldn't rely on that though. I did try to give a better or closer description in my e-mail.

Some other things are across the highway on the Gulf side there is a video store and Bruster's ice cream just before you get to The Plaza. There is also a Backyard Burgers just next to The Plaza now. I have not been down since last November so I am not sure what else may have changed. I do know that coming West on hwy. 98 the building is just inside of the city limits and I remember a Billboard sign was my visual aid to remind me that the turn off was coming close after it.

I am sure that doesn't help alot since there a alot of billboard signs along the way. Also, just before The Plaza there was a gas station and I think a motel on that side coming from Sandestin.

Actual address is 4507 Furling Lane #305 is the unit, middle of the third floor. All the balconies face the highway, his had two rocking chairs on it. I hope they did not blow into the glass doors there.

We plan to come down next Friday, and maybe we could get together Saturday.

How's the diving? Is it back to normal?? I have been interested in diving the jetties sometime.

Let me know how things are going.

I think I figured out where you are talking about. I'll email some pics. If Gulf Shore drive is open next Saturday, I plan on diving the jetties. Right now only residents and property owners are allowed down the road. High tide is 8:40 am . I emailed my phone number - give me a call when you get here. The roads should be fine - don't plan on using hwy 20 to get to the midbay bridge because there is a sink hole near choctaw beach. Use 331 - the bridge over the bay is open now.

Before you dive the jetties, you may want to check with the health dept to see if its been water tested there. One of the issues we dealt with here post Charley is the sewage over flows into the water creating a health hazard that has only recently cleraed up enough to open most of the beaches.

CBulla:
Before you dive the jetties, you may want to check with the health dept to see if its been water tested there. One of the issues we dealt with here post Charley is the sewage over flows into the water creating a health hazard that has only recently cleraed up enough to open most of the beaches.
Thanks for the Heads up. We have monitoring in the area all the time due to the tourist load (no pun intended :D). There have been no reports of sewer line breaks and the boil water ban will soon be lifted for the city of Destin. I'll probably give the health department a call if the road opens and I can't find a report in the paper.

Post here when you find out about the water tests, if you don't mind. Didn't dive this weekend for obviousl reasons. Looking to dive Destin Jeddies next weekend and then probably breathe another tank down at Morrison afterwards. Interested? :wink:

I just read my e-mail and replied there. Thanks, again. Really appreciate the help. Thanks also for the info about 20 and the sink hole. We had thought we might have to take I -10 over to the Niceville exit and then Mid-Bay Bridge. Is that route open? If not then 331 is just fine.

If the ban is lifted I just might bring my gear down with. I am anxious to dive soon again. My last dives were in July and I have wanted to dive the jetties sometime. I have never been able to catch the tides right when I have been there and the last few times I didn't have a buddie. I don't solo dive, especially wouldn't in an unknown area to me.

seaangel:
...We had thought we might have to take I -10 over to the Niceville exit and then Mid-Bay Bridge. Is that route open? If not then 331 is just fine.
As far as I've heard, I-10 and 85 through Crestview and Niceville are fine. The Midbay bridge is open. Hope things are open the Jetties on Saturday. I'll post info as I find out this week.

"SuPrBuGmAn
Post here when you find out about the water tests, if you don't mind. Didn't dive this weekend for obviousl reasons. Looking to dive Destin Jeddies next weekend and then probably breathe another tank down at Morrison afterwards. Interested? "

Saturday is the only time on the weekend I have. Morrison may be if-fy due to water level in the river. I'd be game to try it with Vortex as a back-up may be.

I checked water quality sampling on line. Here is the site:

http://apps3.doh.state.fl.us/env/beach/beachresults.cfm?county=Okaloosa

It was last updated 9/6 so no new data. The paper said Holiday Island was still on a boil water alert but there have been no reports of sewage leaks or warnings about recreational water usage in the area. No news yet on when Gulfshore drive will be open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom