I need your help! Survey on women/gender in diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The questions seem biased. Is that sexism?

I totally agree. Most of your questions are biased.

I started to participate, then decided not to.

I have a problem with your question # 5.

From experience, a major reason for the fact that women tend to be more refractive to diving is their tendency to be more "afraid" than male of the unknown. Afraid of too strong currents, afraid of sharks, afraid of surge, afraid of the dark during night dive............................... It does not mean that it does not apply to men, but I have experienced a significant trend in this area.

Last edited:
On a dive boat, we had two groups and two dive masters. In my group there were four of us, I was the only woman. The dive master gave a briefing and looked directly into the eyes of the 3 men and never even glanced at me. Subtle, yes - but I guess he thought my husband was more competent to remember what to do/not to do?
Is it possible that he knew you were paying attention, but wanted to make sure that the guys were paying attention? Most women that I have known are much better listeners (when it comes to directions / instructions) than men. Maybe it was sexism, but against the men?

Iunula, I haven't personally noticed examples like your #s 2 & 3. I wouldn't have noticed #1 (not glancing at you) because I would be focused just on what he was saying. Some guys are still decades behind unfortunately. I assisted both male and female instructors and of course noticed no difference (some were a little better instructors than others needless to say, but of course regardless of sex). I like to think I'm not one who thinks that way and hope that's true. There are a lot of old attitudes to be overcome.

my husband is a bit of an introvert. In fact, since I am a talker, i seem to be the one they talk to mostly. Maybe they just talk to the person who talks the most to them. This suits my guy just fine.

Done it!!

Actually I think it is a cool Idea.

If you need some more infirmation and you think the point of view of two professionals (one male one female) that have beed working all aroind the globe could be helpfull just please don't hesitate to contact us.

Happy Bubble

#scubalegends

http://www.facebook.com/scubalegends

http://www.scubalegends.wordpress.com

The dive master gave a briefing and looked directly into the eyes of the 3 men and never even glanced at me.

I had an interesting conversation with a male staff member at our local gun range, about whether men or women are better shots. He said, hands down, WOMEN are better shots. When I asked him why, he said "they listen"! So perhaps the reason the diver master made sure he made eye contact with the men was because he knew you would be listening, but didn't have the same confidence in the men - a bit of sexism in reverse? Maybe ...? :wink:

I agree, I don't think many of the listed issues were actually issues for most women in real life.

I also took the survey, but #5 forced me to say that I saw areas of diving as a restriction to women diving - such as, not enough examples, role models, women's gear, of which the first 2 I don't personally care about, and the 3rd, I don't find true. I think you will find your results skewed due to how you set up this question.
It would have been better if you allowed us to rate between 1-6 FOR EACH OF THE SIX AREAS for #5. I would have put 5 or 6 for nearly all of them, but your system would not allow for that. Your results will be skewed.

Not Lunaluna but I will say that I've had similar experiences to hers, with (male) companions who completely missed anything amiss... Not because they were insensitive but bc it wasn't happening TO them. Unfortunately it's not just male instructors/DMs that are guilty! ;-)

Glad you make an effort to be different :).

Iunula, I haven't personally noticed examples like your #s 2 & 3. I wouldn't have noticed #1 (not glancing at you) because I would be focused just on what he was saying. Some guys are still decades behind unfortunately. I assisted both male and female instructors and of course noticed no difference (some were a little better instructors than others needless to say, but of course regardless of sex). I like to think I'm not one who thinks that way and hope that's true. There are a lot of old attitudes to be overcome.

I looked at the questions but did not participate as the test seems designed for women.

It should probably have been posted in the women's perspectives section.

From the top:

"
Sexism is generally defined as treating someone differently (stereotyping, discrimination, etc) based on their sex. This can happen to both men and women. Classic examples of sexism include judging women based on their attractiveness/appearance and judging men based on their ability to lift something.
"

I just dove several days with a female dive buddy. She was competent, capable, and friendly. Nothing else mattered. I helped her with her fins and lent a hand getting out of the water. I do not think that she saw this as sexist in the least. If she did, that's her problem. I was just being the gentleman I was raised to be. She was also pretty, and I cannot see anything wrong with me noticing. Nice teeth, nice eyes, etc. I think that our society has become far too obsessed with so-called sexism, racism, etc. I think that your definition is flawed. I think that sexism is more akin to looking down on women as generally inferior, and most certainly there are men who do so, just as there are women who demean men. We are a sexual species. We have a sex drive, both women and men. We seek mates. Appearances and strength matter. Men and women are different.Trying to intellectualize nature is absurd.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom